What's new

First Year With Vortex

rayoh

Full Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2017
Messages
173
Reaction score
499
Golden Thread
0
Location
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used vx 9 late last winter. I did every update except for the last one. I shared the Vortex with a Legend and then a Manticore. I sold the Legend in July to buy the Manticore. The very first time out with the VX9 I found 5 wheats and two silver dimes. This was at a place where I have not had any recent success. I immediately liked the Vortex for it's tones and easy to adjust menu. The more I used it, the more it was the detector I grabbed first. I do not detect nearly as much as I use to. Old age and hunted out spots. I found this detector to be an excellent detector in super trashy spots. I found old coins just about every time out as I rehunted my "old stand by spots" I have seen mostly "bad press" about the Vortex, but that has not been my findings. I will post more in the near future and share my settings and detecting style.
 
I'm glad to see someone is having great success with the Vortex and posting about it.
 
I'm glad to see someone is having great success with the Vortex and posting about it.
Mike, years ago I was using what I thought to be one of the best trashy site detectors, the Coinstrike. I could creep it through the trash and isolate high tones. This was the first detectors that I could do this with. Over the years I took every detector(I used them all) I had to this spot and never found anything but recent drops. The day before Christmas I took the vx9 to this exact spot. I found an old wheat penny right off the bat. Three feet away, I got a faint high tone that I could only hit from a couple of angles. I found a small rusty bolt at about 5 inches. I rechecked the hole and got a hit with my pinpointer off the side and deeper. It turned out to be a 1927 mercury dime. I have done this exact thing at least 8 times at the fairgrounds. The funny thing is, I am using the stock 8.5 by 11 coil. The 5 x 8 coil will be on this detector next spring!
 
Mike, years ago I was using what I thought to be one of the best trashy site detectors, the Coinstrike. I could creep it through the trash and isolate high tones. This was the first detectors that I could do this with. Over the years I took every detector(I used them all) I had to this spot and never found anything but recent drops. The day before Christmas I took the vx9 to this exact spot. I found an old wheat penny right off the bat. Three feet away, I got a faint high tone that I could only hit from a couple of angles. I found a small rusty bolt at about 5 inches. I rechecked the hole and got a hit with my pinpointer off the side and deeper. It turned out to be a 1927 mercury dime. I have done this exact thing at least 8 times at the fairgrounds. The funny thing is, I am using the stock 8.5 by 11 coil. The 5 x 8 coil will be on this detector next spring!
WOW, the Coinstrike was my favorite detector, I used to own three of them. I eventually sold two and kept one. Unfortunately, my last C$ the coil went bad on it and I couldn't find a replacement coil. I used my C$ the same way. I've been looking at the Vortex. I bought a Simplex Ultra and I just can't seem to warm up to it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom