What's new

Fish effigy...Opinions welcomed.

tchaire

Full Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
236
Reaction score
110
Golden Thread
0
The following point was found by my brother. He believes it's a fish effigy. To many "coincidences" (the gill, dorsal fin, base shape,etc.) What do you think? If not an effigy, any idea of point type?

Thanks,

T.
 

Attachments

  • fish.webp
    fish.webp
    201.3 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0
Cool!

Just wondering, do you ever attend the artifact auctions south of Fargo, at kindred?

Lots of knowledgeable people at those.

Yes I have. Have never purchased anything but I'm always amazed at the quality and quantity of artifacts. And yes, a lot of good information shared.
 
Yes it’s amazing the quantity and quality of what comes out of North Dakota.

Maybe I’ll run into you at the next one.
 
It's not an effigy. There are lots of that type around the US. Brazo Fishtail, Cumberland, or Quad type. Depends on the area you found it.
 
The following point was found by my brother. He believes it's a fish effigy. To many "coincidences" (the gill, dorsal fin, base shape,etc.) What do you think? If not an effigy, any idea of point type?

Thanks,

T.

Do you have a picture of the other side, and something more 2D? The shadow on the ground is causing some distortion of the "dorsal fin". I would agree with Joshua Ream in that grooving the gill and gouging the area for the eyeball would be a stroke of luck.
Unless the other side is done in a similar fashion, it's a point that resembles a fish.
I have one that is similar, and has some fishlike characteristics.
may5c.webp
 
We all see it. But it’s incidental to the design of the point.

I like it!

Try posting more pictures that show close-up details, to assist us with identification.

Jerry McGuire, “Help me, Help you!”

Now, regarding identification: I doubt the Cumberland designation as we can see that your point is missing the full length flute.
There is a point called a CARTER found in the North Central Region. Some of these have the slightly fanned tail (An Expanding Convex Base). A Narrowing waist at the stem (Extremely Wide Notches). Arched Dorsal Fins (Rounded Shoulders), and a Rounded oblong body (Convex Blade Edges). With fish shaped nose (Obtuse Tip).
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557704079.307178.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557704222.157414.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom