FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2366(1).jpg
The 4th black grouper ive had to release this month.....out of season for this great eating fish !!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That's nice, Bart. I guess you better record what you are catching them on now, for when they are in season.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as they open the season on May 1st.....there won't be one to see for miles. They are spawning right now, and will disperse soon !!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lake Martin Alabama Spotted Bass (04/06/2021)

Ken and I fished west of Kowaliga bridge from ~ 7:00 - 11:30. It was ~ 51 degrees with sunny skies. High was 82 degrees for the day. Water temp was ~ 63 and the wind was mostly calm. We caught 8 by 8:30 at the first place we stopped. Here's 13 out of 14 that we caught on Texas rigged 4" Lizards which yielded three pints of fillets.

DSCN0087.JPG

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s another nice sink full, Tdog.
Those are described as a sweet, white flaky fish. Sounds good!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tdog don't mess around....congrats buddy !! I just read WDs post, and all of a sudden I had the urge to try them also....white, flakey, and sweet, just sounds so good !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never got the fish pics this week....still waiting for my partner to send them to me !!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s another nice sink full, Tdog.
Those are described as a sweet, white flaky fish. Sounds good!

Tdog don't mess around....congrats buddy !! I just read WDs post, and all of a sudden I had the urge to try them also....white, flakey, and sweet, just sounds so good !!

Thanks fellas. They are not only white, flakey and sweet, they do not take long at all to fry and can easily be overcooked. We use a dry batter called Louisiana Fish Fry--no additional seasoning required. Gonna have another go at 'em this coming week hopefully (weather permitting). Probably Tuesday.

https://pikeplacefish.goldbelly.com/louisiana-fish-fry

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T-dog you're tearing it up!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lake Martin Spotted Bass - Wednesday - 04-13-2021

Gary and I fished from 7:30 - 11:30. Water temp was 68 with no wind and the predicted high today was 85. We first started out on the West side of Kowaliga bridge but decided to go East at 8:45 after only getting 4 in the boat. We fished between Martin Dam and The Ridge Marina and caught 20 more in the remaining time. We caught most at ~ 30' deep. After culling a few, we decided to pack it in and clean these fish at 11:30. We caught 24 total for the day and kept these 20 that yielded 6 pints of fillets. They averaged ~ 1.5 lbs today.

DSCN0089.JPG DSCN0092.JPG DSCN0094.JPG DSCN0095.JPG DSCN0096.JPG

Edit: Tuesday, not Wednesday. Sorry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn nice boat T-Dog !! That baby looks fast !! Beautiful catch of bass, congrats on the fillets !! You guys are on fire !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210415_212223.jpg
Mutton snapper eyeball !!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210415_163358.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2420.jpg
Coming into the mutton snapper spawn....catching more and more every day.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a dragster rail with a boat moter T-dog. Is that glass or aluminum? Do you have to get a new hat every time you go out? That is a sweet looking location too.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn nice boat T-Dog !! That baby looks fast !! Beautiful catch of bass, congrats on the fillets !! You guys are on fire !!

That is a dragster rail with a boat moter T-dog. Is that glass or aluminum? Do you have to get a new hat every time you go out? That is a sweet looking location too.

Thanks fellas. I wish I could say it belongs to me but it belongs to my buddy Gary. It is an 18' aluminum Triton and I've been in it doing 55 mph and still had throttle left. It feels like it is blowing the hair off your head and will come out of the hole like a shot!

DSCN0097.JPG

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great boat and fish guys! Keep em coming...

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@ Black Bart... I know you have a blast doing what you love for a living. I worked for Regions Financial Corp. in Montgomery, Alabama for some 30 years and during that time, a group of my co-workers and friends would go "deep sea" fishing on private charters in the Gulf of Mexico twice a year. One trip would be bottom fishing (1 day) and the other would be bill fishing (an over-nighter). It was a 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive to get to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Most of us would go on the bottom fishing trips, departing around 3:30-4:00 AM from Orange Beach Marina or the Sportsman Marina and ride through Perdido Pass (at the Alabama/Florida border) where we would first enter open water. We continued riding for some 4 hours before we arrived on the man-made reefs and oil rigs. I don't think we were ever more than 50 miles from shore. We went on "The Sea Hunter" with Capt. Rick McDuffie, "The Intruder" and later the "Lady D" both with Capt. Don Walker. These boats were ~ 60 feet long and usually 10-12 of us anglers/boat would catch some 600 lbs. of Red Snapper, Vermilion Snapper, Amber Jack, Cobia, Sheep Head, Trigger, Grouper, Sea Bass, King Mackerel, an occasional Dolphin and a few other species. When we first started going in the early 1980's, it took $1000 to charter each of these boats for a 10-12 hour bottom fishing trip with 10 anglers. We would gauge what to tip the deck hands by how many pounds of fish we caught--$.25 per pound was the going rate at the time!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread