Fisher 1280-X Wader "Problem"/ Recommend Repair Facility

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Fisher 1280-X Wader "Problem"/ Recommend Repair Facility

Bought a used 1280-X Wader and received it yesterday. Looks to have been well kept and almost looks new but is older. Took it to the beach and started finding coins in the sand and was very stable. Got down to the wet sand and started getting very erratic. Totally unusable in the wet sand and water. Tried turning the sensitivity way down and still the same results. What you think my problem is? Thanks

UPDATE:
8/27/09: Anyone have any recommended repair facility? Fisher Labs want $190 starting and East Texas Metal Detectors want $135 starting. Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Fisher 1280-X Wader "Problem"/ Recommend Repair Facility

Depending on the location and amount of black sand and salt concentrations the Fisher 1280 can be very unstable in one place and ok in another. It could also be a worn out cable or sand under the coil cover. I don't know of any place that can repair them Fisher detectors now. I know when my two 1280's, CZ-20 and other Fisher's die, I'll deep six them and won't buy another.

Good Luck,
Sandman

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keith Wills
East Texas Metal Detectors
903-734-7773

This is the BEST place for Fisher repair. They bought many of the old components when Fisher sold out to First Texas (Bounty Hunter). They still repair Fishers with original parts, and this is the ONLY place I would ever send my baby to. I don't trust the new Fisher as far as I could throw a Bounty Hunter detector.

They may be a little high, but your machine will be Like New when you get it back. Keep in mind that most detector repairs through them will be under $150. It's a small price to pay.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

Thanks BuckleBoy! You just made up my mind for me. You gave them a very good recommendation so I'll give them a try. If they do me right, I've got an A.H. Pro Back Packer II that I'll also let them repair. Thanks Again

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LX Kid said:
Thanks BuckleBoy! You just made up my mind for me. You gave them a very good recommendation so I'll give them a try. If they do me right, I've got an A.H. Pro Back Packer II that I'll also let them repair. Thanks Again

Yes, they love working on vintage detectors. Keith is Top Notch--but you'll want to call ahead to see how backed-up he is before sending your machine. Tell him what the problems are and ask if he can give you a rough price quote.

Regards,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread