fisher coil test

douglas nc

Greenie
May 7, 2006
pleasant garden,n.c.
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,garrett gtax 400,bulls eye pin pointer
hi all, i recently bought an older fisher 1260X at a pawn shop that doesnt work. it came with three coils and all three look well worn from use.when powered up it hums as you would expect, but doesnt respond when metal objects are passed under any of the coils tested.could all three coils be bad and the detector itself still be working? woundered if theres a way of testing these coils myself before sending it back to fisher.also wounder if its even worth fixing. cant find any info on the 1260X anywhere.must be really old. lol....thanks in advance for any help in this matter,,

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
Just a gut feeling but I think you'll find it expensive to get the detector repaired out of warranty. It's a early 1980's era detector, so at least 20 years old or so. Also FWIW Fisher was just bought out a few years ago, so normal shakeup and corporate realignment warnings apply. One thing you might want to explore if you do part it out, sometimes the coils are sought after more than the unit.

You could try asking this corp before doing anything:

http://www.brokendetector.com/

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1260X should not be making any noise when you have it running, one of the virtues plugged by Fisher was that this machine was a silent search machine, meaning that it does not have a threshhold sound coming through your headphones. It only made noise when you came across some metal in the ground. So, If there is noise coming through the speaker when it is on, then you have either a bad volume control or there is a short circuit somewhere. I proudly owned one of these machines when they first came out. 'twas a marvelous machine for its time, just loved the dual discriminators........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread