Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been searching the beaches of San Diego county using my cz-7a pro since 2000. It's a great machine and it has found me lots of coins and lots of ring over the years. But now I am retired and I though about why not try nugget hunting in the desert. The machine run at 5khz in ID mode and 15khz in all metal mode like the first goldbugs. Even the manual mentions prospecting.
Has anyone tried this? :hello2:

8-)Then again, I could just sell a couple of my gold rings and buy a new prospecting detector.
Any favorite machines you care to suggest ?
I would not want to spend much more than $1,000. for a new machine. After all it's just a hobby for me, not my job.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have tried a Fisher CZ20 and CZ21 for nuggets in the Cariboo in BC. My machines are basically the same machine inside as your CZ7, except they are fixed in salt mode and can be used underwater. I found lots of hot rocks and nothing else. I suspect these machines will find big gold on less mineralized ground, but small gold and mineralization will be a problem.

As for a new gold detector for $1K, you are probably looking at a VLF. Lots of reviews and opinions online and in this forum. Get ready for your head to explode - it is not an easy decision. Maybe look at the Whites GMT and then compare the pros and cons with all of the others.

Good luck with it.

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay , thanks for the info. You are right about the ground and nugget size thing. Most if not all nuggets found in the local deserts are of the small to very, very, small size, I will need a higher frequency machine.
Lots of choices in the VLF area and even at $1200 for one model of the whites PI unit. Lots to choose from, won't be an easy choice.

Now I just need to finish building the puffer and find a new hunting buddy to hit the local beaches with 2 or 3 time a week.8-)

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a Gold Bug 2. It has the highest operating freq in the industry and will find sub-gram nuggets. It is also very easy to use and lightweight. I just purchased one new for less than $750.

Last edited:
OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I tried the Cz with a couple test nuggets in all metal Max sens 8" coil over a gram 2" air ..25 gram nothing 5" coil. 25 gram almost touching small hit.

Looks like I will need a actual gold machine to get the common size nuggets found in the desert. So I will need at least 30mhz or higher.

Whites offers the GMT, SGT, & GMZ. Fisher offers the Goldbug 2.
So I want a 30 Mhz or higher VLF machine made in the USA. Under a grand. Any other units I should consider?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread