What's new

Fisher F5 coils

Snap on Man

Full Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2012
Messages
124
Reaction score
156
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I waited to long to buy a Tesoro as a backup detector. So I am going to try and find a Fisher F5. That was the detector I was going to buy before Teknetics dropped the price of the T2.
So what I am looking for is opinions on which coil I should add to the F5? Should it be the 5X10"DD or the 5"DD.
 
My favourite was actually the eliptical concentric. It just seemed to go anywhere under bushes, grass etc and felt nicely balanced.Pinpoint was spot on. I never really got on with the 5" (also fits the gold bug), Perhaps I should have given it more time. I didnt think it was worth the $$ and got frustrated by the small area covered. The 5 X10DD makes it nose heavy (with a coil cover added)but does give a bigger sweep area. The F5 isnt so deep. Have you considered a F70 (Teknetics Patriot) thats serious bang for your buck and in my opinion a bit underated...although some may say its a bit dated now.
Another less than awesome feature of the F5 was that *^%$#@ knurled nut that secured the coil lead to the control box....utter rubbish. The F5 also has a very large control box by todays standards and the face is very easy to scratch. Lack of a volume control and backlight were also annoying at times as well as the 2 X 9V batteries. I used rechargables so it didnt bother me too much just expensive to buy back ups.
Later F5s came standard with the big DD.

Chub
 
Snap, I would say if you can find a F-5 then special order a NEL coil for it. Chub is right, you really have to work with the F5 but depth was never its strong suit. The F-5 brought old to new in one neat package. I would like one just for the fun of the knobs! Biggest mistake I made was letting mine go. It was never a barn burner for performance but it did ok for a beeper, I will say my F-70 has been a true go to machine.
Good Luck! Stay Gold!
Opie
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom