Fisher I D Excel (Follow up review added)

R

rvbvetter

This I D Excel is all wet.

Well, the circiutry inside the push pads is anyway. It seems that after 4 days of using it, a drop of sweat hit the screen and found it's way inside the plastic laminated (like your drivers license) push pads circuits. And in a few minutes, the Excel would not listen to a word I had to say. Push the pads, and no response, except the on and off one. I'm going to see if Fisher has the part they could send me. It just plugs into the circuit board. Or if I'll need to send it in.
Anyway, I thought I would give my Initial Impressions of it. And it's probably not what your thinking it'll be. And then once it's repaired and I feel that I have put a fair amount of time into using it. I'll leave a more comprehensive review.
I can't yet put my finger on why, maybe because I haven't used it long enough.
But this detector is a kick in the pants to use!! It's light weight, has three tone I D, low for iron, mid range for nickels and rings and high for copper, silver and so on.
It has very rapid response time, from the time it sees a target, to the time it lets you in on it. I can see real possibillities for it in those trashier sites. And it has good depth. My Exp II and Dfx are deeper, but 6 inches and over, is a piece of cake for the Excel. The view screen is simple and uncluttered. Doesn't have you going, Gee, I wonder what that little thing means? And it's easy to view, as well.
I've always heard that Fishers have a problem with disc'ing small rusty nails and Iron. But, so far at least, it hasen't been a problem to the Excel.
Well, that's about as far as I've gotten with it.
Inspite of the push pad problem, in my opinion, it's a keeper. And it has found a home here. HH

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Fisher I D Excel

I have a CZ5 and am hooked on fishers. The nail thing is a problem but most times if you remove some dirt the detector will tell you that it is a iron. I have had three Whites detectors a garret and some other brands and for the ease of use and great depth I am hooked. I may try a minelab one of these days when I get rich( I have heard good things about them) I hope you get all the bugs worked out and can tell us more about the Excel when you get a chance.HH

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,

HERE A WAY TO HELP WITH THE TOUCH PADS, IT WORKS FOR ME, THESE R NOT MY PHOTO'S..

Attachments

• rubberpads.jpg
    rubberpads.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,064
  • rubpad2.jpg
    rubpad2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,065

Willy

You can also get them in clear vinyl, which is what I used. The nice thing about the clear ones is that, because of the half-dome shape, they actually magnify whatever lettering is below them. pretty cool, eh? ...Willy.

OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

Actually what happened here was, there's a vertical vent tract in the push pad part. And the opening to let air escape when you push the pad. Is at the bottom center of the screen. So if any moisture gets on the screen (even just condensation) it funnels down to the vent opening. And pushing the pad and releasing it creates a vaccume, and it will suck the moisture into the vent tract and short out the push pad.
HH.

OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

Re: Fisher I D Excel (follow up)

Since the ID EDGE came out, my follow up review of this ID Excel is probably not much help to any one. But I said after using it a while I would leave a more comprehensive review. So here go's.
After I replaced the push pad, the Excel worked as good as new. Now after using it for sometime. I find that every thing I said about it before, is the way I still feel about it today.
With the exception of one thing. The Tone ID
The tone ID works great until you get to some of the deeper targets. Aprox. 5 in. and deeper. For instance, if theres a pull tab at 6 in's and a dime at the same depth. Seperated from each other. It wants to give a high pitch tone (good target signal) over the pull tab like it would over the dime. So when you think you've got a deep coin your just as likely to end up with a pull tab.
My feeling is that it needs one more tone added that would really seperate the coins from pulltabs. But other than that, it's a great little detector. HH

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you heard anything about a "software upgrade" where they reprogram the IC chip for better stability/performance on this model?

OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

No I haven't. Is there a software upgrade available now? I hope so, that would be great!!
I really like the Excel and think it has the potential to be a great detector if the right tweaking was done to it.
I live a 100 miles from Fisher, and boy!!, I would run this thing down there tomorrow.
I'll try to call them tomorrow and I'll leave a post here about what I found out. HH

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,this is what I "heard" from a guy that has one.I can't comfirm it.I'd like to find out though before I buy it from him.Thanks again.-diggummup

OP
OP
R

rvbvetter

Called Fisher Research Labs this morning and asked them if the the rumor of a software or chip upgrade available for the ID Excel, was true.

And the official word was. No

They have no software or chip upgrade available for the ID Excel.

They do have new updated push pads to replace the ones that were getting moisture in and shorting out.
But thats all.
Sorry guys HH

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good to know.I guess the guy was BS'ing me.He did mention about the new pushpad also,but now I know.Thanks rvbvetter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread