Fishing with the Eagles

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Its that time of year when the Eagles gather around open water on the river and do a little fishing. An awesome sight to see. These guys are really big and very beautiful. I took this picture at noon today. There was about eight birds in this area.Thanks for taking a look.
Van

Attachments

• motivator8772194.jpg
    motivator8772194.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 281

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic Van, the eagles are making a good comeback.

Fossis..............

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
fossis said:
Great pic Van, the eagles are making a good comeback.

Fossis..............
Thanks Fossis. Yes they sure are making a great comeback. They gather around a roller dam when the rest of the river freezes up. At time there are a lot of them there.only 8 today.
Van

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful photo, I saw two immatures sitting on a pine tree overlooking our river in town, but no camera with me. That same Pine tree has been the best spot for me seeing Bald Eagles, only 1.5 miles from my house, but they are never sitting on that tree when I have my camera. I pledged to myself I will get a good photo of a Bald Eagle this winter.

We get lots of Bald Eagle's wintering over in our area and the local population over the past ten years has grown in leaps and bounds.

Now to get some good pics of them

Don

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Don in South Jersey said:
Beautiful photo, I saw two immatures sitting on a pine tree overlooking our river in town, but no camera with me. That same Pine tree has been the best spot for me seeing Bald Eagles, only 1.5 miles from my house, but they are never sitting on that tree when I have my camera. I pledged to myself I will get a good photo of a Bald Eagle this winter.

We get lots of Bald Eagle's wintering over in our area and the local population over the past ten years has grown in leaps and bounds.

Now to get some good pics of them

Don
Thanks Don.Keep that camera handy and you will catch them.They are fun to just watch as they look for fish.
Van

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Montana Jim said:
I'd rather be "fishing with the eagles" then "swimming with the fishes"...

Great pic!!!!!
You are soooo right on that view Jim.That ol water would be a little hard on this old body of mine. Much better just watching them fish. Here's a shot of the area where they gather in the winter.
Van

Attachments

• HSPICTURES 703-Changed.jpg
    HSPICTURES 703-Changed.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 244

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, don't mind my spelling in this post ::) There is a site to watch wintering Eagles up to a dozen or so at one time is possible here in the East. The site is the public park below the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River, just below the Pa border in Maryland, I believe near Rising Sun, Md area.

We went there several years ago over Thanksgiving weekend and were treated to a good show, got to watch one catch a fish, land on a rock in the middle of the river and devour his catch. But, again, we did not have a great camera with us, so the memory is only in our noggins. :(

The funny thing about that trip was, it is about a two hour drive and about half hour from home while driving there we had a Bald Eagle fly over just in front of our car and skim over a lake and then sit on a tree. That was our omen that it was going to be a great day to see Eagles and it was.

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Don in South Jersey said:
OK, don't mind my spelling in this post ::) There is a site to watch wintering Eagles up to a dozen or so at one time is possible here in the East. The site is the public park below the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River, just below the Pa border in Maryland, I believe near Rising Sun, Md area.

We went there several years ago over Thanksgiving weekend and were treated to a good show, got to watch one catch a fish, land on a rock in the middle of the river and devour his catch. But, again, we did not have a great camera with us, so the memory is only in our noggins. :(

The funny thing about that trip was, it is about a two hour drive and about half hour from home while driving there we had a Bald Eagle fly over just in front of our car and skim over a lake and then sit on a tree. That was our omen that it was going to be a great day to see Eagles and it was.
Sounds like your omen was right and you had a great trip. For people who haven't see them actually fish its a very cool site I think. They are one really large bird.The picture that is posted here is with a point and shoot 10x optical Olympus camera. I have a better camera that is a DSLR, Canon,but it just has a small lens on it so it isn't any good at this stuff till I put a tele lens on it. I just bought it a month ago.This stuff cost a bunch so I'm hoping when I do get that lens the pictures will be super sharp.On these pictures I'm about 35 yards away so this is pushing this little camera .They sit in the tree tops along this area and a person can get pretty close. The branches do get in the way though
Van

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
CarolinaDigs said:
Magnificent picture !! and Bird :)
Thanks Carolina,and yes they are really something. You need to place one in your paintings somewhere. They love the top of trees over looking water .
Van

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
TreasureTales said:
VanGone, your eagle photo is truly magnificent - a magnificent photo of magnificent bird. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Treasure,they sure are a sight to see.
Van

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread