Flag pole tip/base?

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
Hello TNeters,

I found this in an area that dates back to troop movement during the revolutionary war. It appears to have the wood base still pinned/broken off inside.

(Found lots of shotgun shells and a blank once piece cuff button in the area).

Any ideas would be appreciate!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586039988.923257.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586040002.774426.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586040015.007839.jpg

Thank you!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posts deleted.

Just throw what I said out the window... FOR... I did take a few minutes and actually do some poking around for you..

After some research I learned a few things... ONE of which is... you may actually be correct in your original thinking.

I found this example of "RARE Civil War Ohio & Indiana Acorn Finial for Regimental Flagstaff Flagpole ".

It IS remarkably similar... AND saying that makes me want to just throw out the fact that IF this is a Civil War Regiment topper....

um... this would definitely qualify IMO for banner find.

civil-war-ohio-indiana-acorn-finial_1_06b9573402ba5dcecc660fe70e1a99a5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Locke

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
Posts deleted.

Just throw what I said out the window... FOR... I did take a few minutes and actually do some poking around for you..

After some research I learned a few things... ONE of which is... you may actually be correct in your original thinking.

I found this example of "RARE Civil War Ohio & Indiana Acorn Finial for Regimental Flagstaff Flagpole ".

It IS remarkably similar... AND saying that makes me want to just throw out the fact that IF this is a Civil War Regiment topper....

um... this would definitely qualify IMO for banner find.

View attachment 1818697

Holy smokes AARC, thank you so much! For context this was found in NJ (near a redoubt constructed by Washington’s forces during their winter encampment). When researching Civil War sites to hunt I saw that NJ did not have significant action, although it did send 3 regiments to fight for the Union. I’ll have to do more poking around myself. Again thank you for taking your time with this!

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem.

I do hope this turns out to be something "more" than a chair or furniture leg... OH and I will add... I could not find this exact match in a foot either... so there is hope.

:)

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
99.9 % of the things people pawn off as flag pole tops and bases are not. I Think this is the case with this one from eBay on Worthpoint. I would bet my bottom dollar that your item is actually the acorn balls off of a wooden horse hame.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my first post was a furniture leg guess. heh

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, you will notice your Charter Membership is now active.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

desertexplorer

Dec 30, 2018
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this other thread on a find similar to yours but still a little different.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/499570-brass-possible-flag-pole-finial-bu-how-old.html

Being the possibility exists that your find could still be a Revolutionary/Civil War flag pole/staff finial, it really deserves to be researched more. I’ve seen a lot of things dismissed as not valuable and after changing hands a few times turns out to be the real McCoy.
I’ve seen a lot of horse hames ends but have not seen one designed quite like your find however it’s similar enough to ones in the other TN thread that it’s hard to completely rule out. As far as a chair finials, I know little to nothing about antique chairs (let alone chair finials) but still seems to be similar enough to need ruled out. If it turns out to be a Revolutionary/Civil War find it definitely would deserve a banner find!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say chair leg tip but there does not look like there is any wear at all. Flag pole topper would explain that?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Locke

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
I found this other thread on a find similar to yours but still a little different.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/499570-brass-possible-flag-pole-finial-bu-how-old.html

Being the possibility exists that your find could still be a Revolutionary/Civil War flag pole/staff finial, it really deserves to be researched more. I’ve seen a lot of things dismissed as not valuable and after changing hands a few times turns out to be the real McCoy.
I’ve seen a lot of horse hames ends but have not seen one designed quite like your find however it’s similar enough to ones in the other TN thread that it’s hard to completely rule out. As far as a chair finials, I know little to nothing about antique chairs (let alone chair finials) but still seems to be similar enough to need ruled out. If it turns out to be a Revolutionary/Civil War find it definitely would deserve a banner find!

Thank you for looking that up! I’ll have to dig deeper in the inner webs :)

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Here's a picture with acorn hames tips on the left

Attachments

• hames.jpg
    hames.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 44