Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today, se Kansas never seen this material before not sure if it’s quartz or more of a quartzite. It definitely isn’t local. Covered in dirt it had that lens cross section and I thought I may have a tool, after cleaning it’s probably just a flake but I thought I’d ask just in case those familiar with this kind of material might know something I don’t.
IMG_8519.jpeg
IMG_8520.jpeg
IMG_8521.jpeg
IMG_8522.jpeg
IMG_8523.jpeg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is it doesn’t belong, working a new site on a bluff top, just below the 8” of dirt is a weathered sandstone sitting on fine gray limestone. It was floating just under the surface with a bunch of regular flakes. I pick up all flakes I find and I’m almost sure this is a first for this material

Also I guess I should have done the title better, I’m wondering if it’s a flake or flake blade, not thinking biface or anything, I just have no experience if telling a material like this has had any extra work. With the cross section and little wave to the edge it seems right but I can’t see any obvious retouching.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think it is even a reduction flake off a piece being worked. Looks like natural stone.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look natural, hell I’d probably be in your camp if it was someone else’s post but I’ll say it again me more time, that stone doesn’t exist in the area I look at the geology every weekend because I rock hound too. That’s also why I showed the one angle showing a platform and a bulb. If it’s natural I can’t think of an explanation how it got there, above any flooding being on the high point in the landscape area has never been farmed it’s always been a private cattle pasture outside of a tiny Kansas town so it’s not remnants of an old building or people hiking or anything. And being among a pile of other flakes… but anyway it’s not that important it was a post out of a mild curiosity if people want to say nothing then that’s fine.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Looks like a non heat treated quartzite piece. When heat is applied it will turn a yellow in color. I have some at home I can show after work if you like. The ones I’ve found don’t show any edge work but are large in size.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Some examples of quartzite from my area. Flakes in hand some are heat treated some aren’t.
Points one is heat treated other isn’t.
I find both. Hope it helps
The white ones aren’t heat treated
The colored ones are and can be tan and even red.

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpeg
    IMG_3260.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3263.jpeg
    IMG_3263.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3264.jpeg
    IMG_3264.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good tip provided by Older the Better--'all I know is it doesn't belong'. When I know the area, and I know the geology, one of the first things I watch out for.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want to put a bow on this one too. I Appreciate the effort creekside, been busy lately haven’t got around to getting back to this post I think you’re right on the quartzite
Here’s as close as I can get, has a little translucency appreciate the responses
IMG_8692.jpeg

IMG_8693.jpeg
IMG_8694.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sign of intentional flaking in pictures by man.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Platform
IMG_8696.jpeg

Bulb of percussion
IMG_8698.jpeg

Sharp edges feathering out opposite the platform and bulb of percussion
IMG_8699.jpeg
IMG_8700.jpeg

Material that doesn’t necessarily show clear flake scars
IMG_8695.jpeg

Non native material found in a hole maybe 3x3 foot with this
IMG_8703.jpeg

I really don’t want to fight about whether it’s a flake but I can’t help it this afternoon. I’ll try to be done with it at that though

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
This one I found the other day Savannah River is made from quartzite. Idk if it’s heat treated or not but is a tan in color. The quartz family is really hard to see the flaking sometimes. Not sure what they would of used to flake it with.

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpeg
    IMG_3404.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread