Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this guy today, se Kansas. funny thing is the insitu was just because I thought it was a very colorful flake didn’t even recognize it as a base. Love the material never found anything else made out of whatever it is. I wonder if it’s Texas alabates, not finding a great match, I’m slightly partial to vain creek for those with overstreet books, that type doesn’t appear to show up on a web search. Lots of bifurcates appear to be very early and mention grinding, it’s not particularly sharp but also not obviously ground. If anyone has an idea on material or type I’d love to hear it.
IMG_8527.jpeg
IMG_8528.jpeg
IMG_8518.jpeg
IMG_8510.jpeg
IMG_8512.jpeg
IMG_8514.jpeg
IMG_8516.jpeg

Upvote 8

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting material. I don’t think it’s Alibates. I zoomed in on your piece and I see crinoids. That’s more likely to be Mississippian time period flint. 320-350mya. Alibates is much younger at around 250mya and lack crinoid fossils.
IMG_4026.jpeg

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance it’s Mozarkite? I saw most examples on in greys and tans but there was some raw material being called mozarkite that had more reds, it also seems more flat than whatever this is, and that red orange is really different.

Been looking into a type, Duncan is close, but there’s some texas types that could make sense other than the fact they aren’t all that close geographically. Tough to say the way it is, if there were big barbs that would open some up but I get the sense it was weak shouldered

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know much about mozarkite. I’ve only had a piece or two. It was really pretty with maroon, white, and red together. It comes from Lincoln Co MO mainly.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a little clean up to put a bow on the pos.t probably just for my brain… i took some pics as close as I could and was a little surprised to not see any fossils… unless I’m blind anyway I’ll keep my eyes open and see if I stumble across the answer. Whatever it is, it’s really pretty stuff.
IMG_8531.jpeg
IMG_8532.jpeg
IMG_8534.jpeg
IMG_8535.jpeg
IMG_8536.jpeg
IMG_8537.jpeg
IMG_8538.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread