What's new

Flat Button?

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
420
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, I found this today while detecting. Thank god for a pinpointer cause I beleive I would not have found it. The back of the button appears to be broken. Was wondering if it is a button and approximate age. The area hunted is a farm field where we have found many CW relics. Thanks for reading and any help that you may provide.
 

Attachments

  • Button.webp
    Button.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Button1.webp
    Button1.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 220
It's a tombac button. Late 1700s.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
It's a tombac button. Late 1700s.

Thanks very much. Its a wonder it has survived that long in the farm field.
 
Upvote 0
RiverRat3 said:
BuckleBoy said:
It's a tombac button. Late 1700s.

Thanks very much. Its a wonder it has survived that long in the farm field.

For the larger tombac buttons, that's very true. Tombac is a brittle material, and it breaks rather than bending if it is struck by the plow.

Nice find--tombacs are a sign that there could be other early relics waiting there.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
RiverRat3 said:
BuckleBoy said:
It's a tombac button. Late 1700s.

Thanks very much. Its a wonder it has survived that long in the farm field.

For the larger tombac buttons, that's very true. Tombac is a brittle material, and it breaks rather than bending if it is struck by the plow.

Nice find--tombacs are a sign that there could be other early relics waiting there.

For some reason tombac buttons hold up very well in the ground. Makes me wonder why we don't use that material more today. :)

I've never cleaned one with aluminum jelly but someone on here did and it cleaned up really well. Check out Buckle Boy's post on cleaning buttons. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I understand they used arsenic in Tombac. I suspect that is why they don't make them any more.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom