Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I've been driving by this field almost daily waiting for the soybeans to be harvested; these two paddocks are located just to the west of an abandoned 1870 farmhouse. There were also archeological excavations of an unknown structure on the edge of the paddock last year. I took a picture of the spot the archeologists were working in, so I felt this site held potential for some interesting finds. :thumbsup: I was only able to hunt here for 2hrs yesterday as the farmer arrived to seed the field with wheat for next year. He told me that, "he didn't have a problem with me detecting the 'seeded field' as long as I did it carefully". I had a tough time swinging here as the cut soybean stems were still sticking 4 - 6" out of the ground. I've included BT – before tumbling & AT – after tumbling pics of the finds. I'll be back here again on Sunday morning, that is if the thunderstorms hold off!

Lower Canada - 1820 Half Penny Token

Year of Issue: 1837
Value: 1/2 Penny
Metal: Brass
Obverse: Laureate head, which supposedly depicts King George IV.
Reverse: A harp and the date 1820.

This coin was actually *antedated (*to put a date on that is earlier than the actual date) to get around the ban on importing currency tokens into the Canadian colonies.

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

Attachments

• The Field.jpg
    The Field.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Archeology Dig Site.jpg
    Archeology Dig Site.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Plowless Seeding.jpg
    Plowless Seeding.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG-20131003-03115.jpg
    IMG-20131003-03115.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG-20131003-03101.jpg
    IMG-20131003-03101.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG-20131003-03119.jpg
    IMG-20131003-03119.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG-20131003-03118.jpg
    IMG-20131003-03118.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG-20131003-03113.jpg
    IMG-20131003-03113.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG-20131003-03106.jpg
    IMG-20131003-03106.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-20131003-03103.jpg
    IMG-20131003-03103.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 118
  • BT - 001.jpg
    BT - 001.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 115
  • AT - 001.jpg
    AT - 001.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 118
  • BT - 002.jpg
    BT - 002.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 112
  • AT - 002.jpg
    AT - 002.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 106
  • BT - 003.jpg
    BT - 003.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-20131003-03121.jpg
    IMG-20131003-03121.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Example - 1820 Lower Canada Half Penny Token.jpg
    Example - 1820 Lower Canada Half Penny Token.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 121
  • AT 004.jpg
    AT 004.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 109
  • BT - 004.jpg
    BT - 004.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 107
  • AT - 003.jpg
    AT - 003.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 7

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff. Those cut fields are tough. Been hunting a field that was just allowed to grow up for 3 years and then cut and the stobs that stick up are a real pain. Same in the corn yesterday. Congrats.:icon_thumleft:

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff! That mini shoe is very cool. I've found a few mini oxen shoes but not a horse. Clean it up.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the Half Penny token, and the buttons. Those little horse shoes are a cute find as there's not a whole lot of them around it seems. I'm seriously not liking the no till just drill type of planting that's getting more popular now. Spray, die, drill, stubble, much prefer at least a disc and roll to the fields, but anything is better than nothing.

I dug a 1837 Un Sou Half Penny Token yesterday the first coin off the site I've been looking for, just a quick one hour spotting hunt.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome stuff. Those cut fields are tough. Been hunting a field that was just allowed to grow up for 3 years and then cut and the stubs that stick up are a real pain. Same in the corn yesterday. Congrats.:icon_thumleft:

I hear you TNGUNS, the stubs are a pain in the wrist! :laughing7:
But as I like to say, "sometimes a bit of pain is worth it for what we might find"!
Thanks for your post,
Dave

Good stuff! That mini shoe is very cool. I've found a few mini oxen shoes but not a horse. Clean it up.

I've got the "mini shoe" in the tumbler right now along with the ox-shoe, the iron strap thingy (I'm going to post it in the 'What is it' forum when it's cleaned up) and the small iron buckle. I'll post pics of it all tomorrow after it's been in the tumbler for 48hrs! :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Dave

nice finds

Thanks!

Nice going on the Half Penny token, and the buttons. Those little horse shoes are a cute find as there's not a whole lot of them around it seems. I'm seriously not liking the no till just drill type of planting that's getting more popular now. Spray, die, drill, stubble, much prefer at least a disc and roll to the fields, but anything is better than nothing.

I dug a 1837 Un Sou Half Penny Token yesterday the first coin off the site I've been looking for, just a quick one hour spotting hunt.
Glad to hear you found the site J! :occasion14:
Hopefully the 'Un Sou' is just the tip of the iceberg!
Dave

Nice ANTIQUARIAN. Thanks for sharing...

Thank you sir! :icon_salut:

Great pics, great site! The mini horseshoe, were they for miniature ponies?

Thanks very much for your post highnam! That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it, "dawg, this must've been one small horse"! :laughing7:

This was decoration on the side of a plow horse blinder, also known as blinkers or winkers. Blinkers are a piece of horse tack that prevents the horse seeing to the rear and in some cases to the side. They're usually made of leather and are placed on either side of the eyes, attached either to a bridle or to an independent hood. The term "blinder" form is used metaphorically to refer to people with an overly narrow focus or inability to see the larger picture.
Best of luck to you, :thumbsup:
Dave

Last edited:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent relics and coins. :icon_thumright: Congrats! I know the feeling of checking those fields to be harvested...can't happen soon enough! Corn stubble is the worse IMO, especially when it's knee deep+. :tongue3:

HH

G

gman17

Pretty sure the mini horse shoe is a boot or shoe heel plate, sweet finds!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent relics and coins. :icon_thumright: Congrats! I know the feeling of checking those fields to be harvested...can't happen soon enough! Corn stubble is the worse IMO, especially when it's knee deep+. :tongue3:

HH

Thanks very much for your post Anne, my only wish is that the finds were in better condition! :'( In speaking with the farmer, he told me that he grew up in the area and he'd always know this property as a horse farm. This explains the poor condition of the metal due to exposure to horse manure for years! :laughing7:

Pretty sure the mini horse shoe is a boot or shoe heel plate, sweet finds!!

Thanks very much for your suggestion gman that this mini horse shoe might be a heel plate. I've been doing some research online and have found some examples of iron heel plates, that could very well be what this is. I always felt it was too big to be decoration on a plow horse blinder. :icon_scratch:

Let me know what you all think!
Dave

Attachments

• British Military Shoes 1850.jpg
    British Military Shoes 1850.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Iron Heel Plates.jpg
    Iron Heel Plates.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Horseshoe Heel Plate for Boots.jpg
    Horseshoe Heel Plate for Boots.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Heel Plate Examples.jpg
    Heel Plate Examples.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 196
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like the buttons!! I agree with GMan that is a heel plate..

Thanks for your post HSD and for the confirmation.

Here are some updated pics of the finds after tumbling for 36hrs!
If anyone knows what the last item pictured is I'd appreciate it if you could let me know! :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• Mystery Iron 003.jpg
    Mystery Iron 003.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20131006-03135.jpg
    IMG-20131006-03135.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20131006-03133.jpg
    IMG-20131006-03133.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 80
  • After Tumbling.jpg
    After Tumbling.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Before Tumbling.jpg
    Before Tumbling.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your post HSD and for the confirmation. :thumbsup:

I'm totally not convinced that it's a heel plate, but not totally convinced it's off a pony/miniature horse either. I'll ask a owner of 20+ miniatures if they ever get shoed or if it was a practice in the past.

If you clean the shoe up post up the picture as there's a few things that question either theory. Thickness, or if there's a nail still attached in the shoe, or any of the following parts

-the toe clips (usually on front feet, stop shoes slipping back)
-the quarter clips (usually on hind feet, stops shoes form twisting)
-the fullered groove (the groove on the bottom of the shoe) some shoes have a wedge, which is a raised piece on the heel.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm totally not convinced that it's a heel plate, but not totally convinced it's off a pony/miniature horse either. I'll ask a owner of 20+ miniatures if they ever get shoed or if it was a practice in the past.

If you clean the shoe up post up the picture as there's a few things that question either theory. Thickness, or if there's a nail still attached in the shoe, or any of the following parts

-the toe clips (usually on front feet, stop shoes slipping back)
-the quarter clips (usually on hind feet, stops shoes form twisting)
-the fullered groove (the groove on the bottom of the shoe) some shoes have a wedge, which is a raised piece on the heel.

Not sure I want to clean the shoe up much more than I already have J, I don't want to over clean it if you know what I mean. It measures a 1/4" in thickness and 2 1/4" across at it's widest point. I'd be interested in knowing what the "owner of 20+ miniatures" thinks about it. :thumbsup:
I'll show it to you if we ever meet up, :laughing7:
Dave

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a small horseshoe last week, but it's definitely not from a miniature horse or a shoe plate. What farm animal would require a 3 3/4" shoe (measured from top center to bottom)? I have attached a pic, which compares it to a normal horseshoe.

DSC02023.JPG

Last edited:

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a small horseshoe last week, but it's definitely not from a miniature horse or a shoe plate. What farm animal would require a 3 3/4" shoe (measured from top center to bottom)? I have attached a pic, which compares it to a normal horseshoe.

View attachment 876383

I didnt know they shoe'd any other farm animals other than horses or mules. I found one in a logging camp, I just assumed it was a really small horse. Do you have a suggestion for what it came from?

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for your post Tim! :thumbsup:
Your shoe is larger than the one I found. So it may have been for a pony or possibly even a burro or donkey. :icon_scratch:
Dave

I didnt know they shoe'd any other farm animals other than horses or mules. I found one in a logging camp, I just assumed it was a really small horse. Do you have a suggestion for what it came from?

As I mentioned above it may have been for a pony or a burro or donkey. The shoe I found measures 1/4" thick x 2 1/4" across it's widest point. Thanks very much for your input highnam! :icon_thumleft:
Dave

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those field hunts you just never know what you'll find

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love those field hunts you just never know what you'll find

That's exactly how I feel when I'm field hunting J!
You never really know what might surface . . . though I'm praying for silver most of the time! :laughing7:
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread