Flint core?

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this piece of flint something that someone once picked up and hacked out useful rock? Most of it has the natural outer covering, but there are hacks and chip outs and I'm wondering if this was the source for arrowhead flint.

P6010002.JPG

P6010003.JPG

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a real mean piece of quartz. I can tell you where the source of local flint is in your county. It's called Utica banded flint. Go to Utica. Walk west along the barge canal.(drive if the gate is open) Go past the mine openings. You'll come to a creek that comes in from the bluff. The outcrop is on the top edge of the bluff, east side of creek. You can see where the Indians quarried it as the bluff is cut back a ways at the top edge. Gary

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a flint nodule that has had a side knocked off. Hard to tell if they got anything beyond possibly a scraper or two. The rest of it is the cortex material that it eroded out of, my guess is limestone.

Last edited:

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a real mean piece of quartz. I can tell you where the source of local flint is in your county. It's called Utica banded flint. Go to Utica. Walk west along the barge canal.(drive if the gate is open) Go past the mine openings. You'll come to a creek that comes in from the bluff. The outcrop is on the top edge of the bluff, east side of creek. You can see where the Indians quarried it as the bluff is cut back a ways at the top edge. Gary

How far of a walk is this?
I go up to Utica occasionally and would like to check this out
BD

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this piece of flint something that someone once picked up and hacked out useful rock? Most of it has the natural outer covering, but there are hacks and chip outs and I'm wondering if this was the source for arrowhead flint.

View attachment 1813152

View attachment 1813154

I think I tromped around there looking to see if I could find remains of an old mill site, just historically curious.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How far of a walk is this?
I go up to Utica occasionally and would like to check this out
BD

I was with an archaeologist and we found a ranger that had the key to the gate and we drove back there. I don't think it was more than a mile though. It's a really neat spot with the old abandoned canal next to the river. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread