What's new

Flint or Non-flint

Pull_tab_mike

Full Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2009
Messages
157
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Whites CoinMaster
Found this in a field that gives out a lot of flint. Is it flint or something that looks like flint?

Thanks

HH

PTM
 

Attachments

  • 676A0916.webp
    676A0916.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 323
Does it make sparks?

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
Does it make sparks?

Nope no sparks, but when I went to strike it slivers came off and they where sharp as hell and black.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
That's flint okay. Often oxidizes on the outside to a white color. Black flint is usually English in origin, as I recall.
 
Upvote 0
has a flint nodule look to it, but i'm not gonna say yes yet! Post it in the Indian Artifacts section of TNET for a really quick answer! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Also kinda looks like Jasper.
 
Upvote 0
As a former Geology Minor college student, and longtime "rockhound," I can assure you the object your found is one of the many varieties of chert nodules, and its specific variety is flint.

By the way... DirtDigler is correct... flint-nodules often weather to a light-grey-ish/white-ish color on the outside. I found dozens just like yours on many "rockhounding" trips to Paint Rock Valley (in Alabama). The streambeds there contained many chert, flint, and jasper nodules, which had eroded out of the surrounding limestone.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom