What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED I'd Love to Identify this Early Fouled Anchor Button

cannonball

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2010
Messages
915
Reaction score
4,783
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found an18th Century site here in New Jersey. I did a little detecting and sifting and found this 17 mm 1 piece fouled anchor button with a back mark that I cant make out. Feel free to chime in if you think you can identify it. It seems like it's pre War of 1812. Also found was a amber gun flint and a nice coat button and pipe pieces. In the 18th century, amber flint primarily refers to French gun flints, known for their honey-light brown or amber translucent color. These "Silex blond de Berry" flints were highly prized for their use in flintlock firearms, which relied on the flint striking steel to create a spark that ignited gunpowder. They were widely used by French, British, and American forces, especially before the mid-1700s, and were crafted using specific techniques that modern craftsmen have revived to create historically accurate replicas.

Attachments​

  • anchor hh.webp
    anchor hh.webp
    168.6 KB · Views: 0
  • anchor hh1.webp
    anchor hh1.webp
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • anchor hh2.webp
    anchor hh2.webp
    157.6 KB · Views: 0
  • anchor hh3.webp
 
Rotating the anchor 180 degrees I think I see AT followed by a possible I.
 

Attachments

  • Anchor.webp
    Anchor.webp
    126.4 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0
Don't see the anchor, am I missing something ?
 
Upvote 0
Could the AT be part of WATERBURY.....They've been around since 1812.
Sarge, you could be onto something. Maybe doing a rubbing and/or holding it at a low angle would expose more details...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom