Florida Keys

Summerville Joe

Aug 24, 2006
South Carolina
I'm leaving for the Florida Keys Friday morning. Would like to take my detector with me. Have been told by people who have been to the Keys that there is no REAL beaches, only rocks. Can anyone tell me if there are any beaches or parks open to detecting on any of the Keys? I will be staying on Marathon. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks

Summerville Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only beach I've hunted was Smathers Beach not far from Key Largo. Sugar white sands were if you drop a dime it's gone. This was a few years ago and I am sure rocks haven't grow up since then, but I don't know if it is a hot spot to detect now. Most of the beaches there are all sand with sea weed washed up on the shores and very shallow water.

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
hey i just wanted to say that i have been down their a few times atally stayed on a camping ground on marothon two and three years ago for a week. the fishing down their is asome i caught a 4 foot king macrol with a charter that goes out of their a few mile down the road, also my dad owns a house on little deer key. i even got to see one of the mini dear, it was fun, sorry i wasnt to much help but their are not ryl any beach as i remeber hope you find a few though

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: Okay, we lived in Boot Key Harbor on our 36 foot sailboat and our 34 foot Sea Ray for about 8 years. We were traveling all over and used the Harbor as a central location to travel from Belize to the Gulf and Outerbanks.
Marathon does have a couple of very nice areas. Sumbrero Beach is probubly the best as it is used by locals and tourists alike. I have hunted it on the beach and in the water and had very good luck with both. If you have underwater equipment there are lots of beaches that are accessable from the waterside. Don't let non-residents tell you that there are no beaches. There are! Problem is that some are not accessable from the roadway. As you cruise down Route 1 you will see boat launch areas with picnic and swimming areas. Scan them! Storms over hundreds of years have made anywhere you are into a hunting site. All bridge access points are open to MD's. Picnic areas and schools are another good place. Don't forget to snorkel along any seawall or rip-rap piles.
Take all the equipment you can. Underwater and dry beach/wet beach. The storms of 05 washed entire homes away and spread personal belongings all over the islands. The central and lower keys were underwater to the highway. I know, I was there and saw it all. Go for it!!!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe, on Marathon your best bet will be Sombrero beach. Nice sand and shallow water hunting there.

Not too far north is Ann's beach, its another nice little place to stop and detect.

DO NOT just jump into the teal blue waters anywhere you want with a metal detector. There are state issued treasure hunting leases and trespassing into them with a MD is bad MOJO. You can research the lease areas here on TN for lat and longs which should give you a pretty good idea of where they are.

Also, forget about anyplace named ---- State Park. MD'ing is NOT allowed in the State Park. If you check with the Ranger at Long Key and Bahia Honda state parks, it depends on who is working that day as to weather or not you can hunt the sandy beach (never in the dunes, only between the dune and waterline) but like I said, it depends on who is working that day. Get permission first at the office.

If you are in the water near bridges, be cautious as to the tides lest you find yourself in the Gulfstream heading for England.

This subject (MD'ing in the Keys) has been previously discussed quite a few times. Search the Florida section for more information along with the Beach and Shallow Water section.

Good luck and enjoy the vacation.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe Mama? Boot Key Harbor? City Marina? Village Restaurant? Fero Blanco? :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread