What's new

Winter Detecting...Why Not?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
5,249
Reaction score
1,102
Golden Thread
1
Location
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
As a serious metal detecting enthusiast, I constantly monitor many metal detecting forums. This time of year I constantly see topics titled such things as "My Final Hunt of the Season". While I understand that the northern regions of the US and Canada my already be under a blanket of snow, I do not understand why others are throwing in the towel so soon. As far as I am concerned, the season is still in full swing.

Although I detect year round, my season gets into full swing in September. July and August are typically too hot. With average temperatures near 90 degrees, heat stroke is a potential threat. Additionally the ground can become as hard as concrete during summer months making digging nearly impossible.

There are many more reasons I avoid detecting in the summer months. The insect population begins to peak in my region in late May or early June. Mosquitoes can be a nuisance, but may also transmit dangerous diseases. Snakes are another enemy of metal detecting. Although I do not fear snakes, the risk of stepping on a sleeping rattlesnake is very real in Southern New Jersey. Another nasty pest is the deer tick. One bite from one of these nearly invisible parasites can transmit Lyme's Disease, which if left untreated, can be fatal. Poison Ivy, while not dangerous, is another threat to one's well being. Inevitably I get a nasty case of it every spring.

Other vegetative matter can hinder summer detecting as well. The thorny underbrush can wreak havoc on equipment, clothing and skin. Thick growth hinders coil movement, and adds inches to the coil height, adversely impacting depth.

Winter metal detecting, on the other hand, can provide hours of uninterrupted enjoyment. Gone are the pests and plant growth. Gone are the hikers and the geocachers. Gone are the curious onlookers.

Yes, it is cold this time of year, especially during the early morning hours when I usually detect. Of course it is important to be properly dressed. A hat and gloves are a must. Wearing layers insures that I am as warm as possible.

As long as the ground is not frozen, I will keep digging.
 
Oddly enough I will keep on going until the ground is frozen also even though I live in northern Europe. :thumbsup:
 
I don't stop unless there's snow on the ground or it's raining.
 
Where I'm at, it rarely gets above 90-ish, and never goes below freezing. I never even SAW snow till I was in my mid-teens :) The perfect mediteranean climate. Year round hunting. When the ground is too wet and the rain too stiff for land hunting, that usually just signals that it's beach erosion season, so we gear up with water-proof gear and hit the beach :) Yes yes I know ....... you're heart bleeds for those of us near the west coast, eh? :)
 
johnnycat said:
I don't stop unless there's snow on the ground or it's raining.

Same here - Not in the rain, and not when the ground is frozen.

It's nice to hunt this time of year when you don't have to take a DEET bath before you go out!
 
I agree frozen ground and rain are the only things that stop me.During the summer heat I hunt the woods and during spring and fall hunting seasons I hunt the parks and yards. When the ground is frozen I try to get permission to hunt in the spring. I work for a small construction company and I'm going to ask all the homeowners for permission to hunt in the spring. Out of 3 houses I got a sure anytime (1920s house), an I don't know(1800 house),and a That sounds like fun I can't wait(1865 house).It never hurts to ask so I'm going to ask. I also offer to bring an extra detector and teach them to use it.
 
Amen Neil....like you said,no longer are the "pest" around but you can still find some decent digging ground within the wood's themselve's.Not the frozen tundra of the field's but in the "black loamy" soil we have here on the E.Coast......As long as i can get the digger the first couple inche's it's all down hill after that.Change your tool's up also.....The only thing stopping you is yourself....And definetly pay attention to the "layer factor",from head to toe,pretty much like a normal hunt but you resemble the Michelin Man sorta......Why Not?
 
The ground doesn't freeze here, and I detect all through the winter. If I get the itch to go badly enough, there's not much that will stop me. I detect in light rain sometimes, heat, cold, night and day. I'll detect below freezing when it's not humid, but if the humidity is high and it's in the 20's or less, I'll be inside. The humidity makes the cold get to my bones no matter how much bundling up I do. It's usually humid here in the deep south too.
 
Yup....why not?
 

Attachments

  • 2006-11-04MonaLisaSchrecky.webp
    2006-11-04MonaLisaSchrecky.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 2006-11-04MonaLisaSchrecky.webp
    2006-11-04MonaLisaSchrecky.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 414
Here in Michigan, I hunt the sled hills after the big kids get done. I will sit in my warm truck from a distance and watch where they fall off their sleds and snowboards, and go back when they are gone. I put ice creepers on my boots and have a ball. I also pick up any glove or mitten that I find on the slopes, as I have found many rings and yes, sometimes cash in them. I also hunt the woods in the local parks, the heavy leaf drop assures some areas of well insulated unfrozen ground. Some parks are not well maintained around here and the grass rarely gets cut, so after the first heavy freeze, and the weeds are knocked down, this area is fair game also. Then towards springtime, I go to the local malls, and eyeball hunt the melting plowed up snow piles. I have found rings, coins, cell phones, credit cards, gloves with rings in 'em, and one time I found 120.00 in 20's melting out of the ice. So I say; "Why Not" also............NGE (T)
 
I hunt so much by this time of the year my shoulders, back and knees hurt quite a bit. Sometimes my fingers seem locked in that grip position on the handle of detector. I mainly hunt clad, over $1450 the last two years... so I need a break. I tried hunting last year thru most of the winter... I just found for me...it was not worth it... I need the rest.... but good luck and every time you dig you just never know........
 
DFX-SE Gregg said:
I hunt so much by this time of the year my shoulders, back and knees hurt quite a bit. Sometimes my fingers seem locked in that grip position on the handle of detector. I mainly hunt clad, over $1450 the last two years... so I need a break. I tried hunting last year thru most of the winter... I just found for me...it was not worth it... I need the rest.... but good luck and every time you dig you just never know........

If clad is your thing, enjoy your time off!!!!
 
Neil in West Jersey said:
DFX-SE Gregg said:
I hunt so much by this time of the year my shoulders, back and knees hurt quite a bit. Sometimes my fingers seem locked in that grip position on the handle of detector. I mainly hunt clad, over $1450 the last two years... so I need a break. I tried hunting last year thru most of the winter... I just found for me...it was not worth it... I need the rest.... but good luck and every time you dig you just never know........

If clad is your thing, enjoy your time off!!!!

Thanks Neil....it just seems to be all I get! But at least there is plenty in my area... My silver numbers did improve quite a bit...but my gold finds went down (3).... oh well there is always next year. :)
 
HI
I don't like hunting in the rain or snow its to messy.

priscilla
 
not in the snow, not in the rain, and definitely not in a tornado LOL
 
coingairl300 said:
HI
I don't like hunting in the rain or snow its to messy.

priscilla

Luckilly, here in the southern part of the state we don't get the amount of snow that you do. I love detecting those blustery days in the upper 30's and low 40's! Of course I avoid the rain all year round!

Happy Holidays!
Neil
 
I would hunt in the snow, but when it is over a foot deep, well........

When the snow is more than a couple of feet deep the ground often will not freeze. Now I just need to find a detector that will go through the snow and still get deep.........

I am jealous of anyone that can md through the winter! The prediction for snow is 18" in the next 36 hours.

Best of Luck,
Mark aka Frosty
 
I'm a woods hunter mostly.. the only thing that stops me is too much snow..4 in or more...Ive gone out with a small sledge hammer before and a tough trowel... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: some say, let them sit.. they'll still be there in the spring... IMO... there's too much ground to cover...and if there's cool stuff in the ground... I want it !!! As far as damaging something..ya just gotta be more careful

I like the cold...you can dress for it...there's only so much you can do in the hot summer months ..

I know 2 people here in mass that got lymes disease... i took that month off...when they described the symptoms....
I thought... maybe it's not worth chancing...

This is by far.. my favorite time of the year to tect !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
Green1 said:
I'm a woods hunter mostly.. the only thing that stops me is too much snow..4 in or more...Ive gone out with a small sledge hammer before and a tough trowel... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: some say, let them sit.. they'll still be there in the spring... IMO... there's too much ground to cover...and if there's cool stuff in the ground... I want it !!! As far as damaging something..ya just gotta be more careful

I like the cold...you can dress for it...there's only so much you can do in the hot summer months ..

I know 2 people here in mass that got lymes disease... i took that month off...when they described the symptoms....
I thought... maybe it's not worth chancing...

This is by far.. my favorite time of the year to tect !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am right there with you, but I have been in 4 inches of snow and still came home with deer ticks on, so always be prudent and check!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom