What's new

Florida/Winter/Wetsuits?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how much wet suit is enough for the colder winter "surf" in Florida? What suit do you recommend?
 
Upvote 0
It depends on how old you are : 60 or older at least 5 to 6 mil. under 50year old 3 mil will work.It also depends on how long you are going to be in the water. Over 60 not longer than 4 to 5 hours. The water here gets down to about 50/55* Degresin Jan. Feb. I use a Pool thermoter to watch the temp. with.If you lose to much warmth in your body hypothermia will set in and you could die.So ,have fun,be safe and keep warm.HH Ron Lord
 
7 mill "full wetsuit".it can get hot and it can get real cold.ive learned if your finding gold it will nullify any cold, shoot you you could go butt naked and if your finding alot of gold you feel no pain :tongue3:
 
snooksion2 said:
7 mill "full wetsuit".it can get hot and it can get real cold.ive learned if your finding gold it will nullify any cold, shoot you you could go butt naked and if your finding alot of gold you feel no pain :tongue3:
So true, When I'm on a hot streak, Tunnel vision hits me big time. No sounds, no cold or hot, Nothing but the contents of my scoop.
 
If you are "Skinny" wear a thich wet suit , the water will chill the bones quick. If you are pleasantly plump like me a 3 or 5 mil suit is sufficient depending on water temp.
 
I'm 62, I have a 3 mil farmer john for winter, it give me 6 mill over the body core and I have no trouble hunting the Atlantic in the winter. I have 2 other wetsuits for the warmer spring, and fall months...
 
Scoop.... you probably need to be looking at sub zero suits. Hopefully they have a kids section!!
 
miller433 said:
Scoop.... you probably need to be looking at sub zero suits. Hopefully they have a kids section!!

I was wondering when you were going to take your shot! :laughing7: :laughing7: Just remember,....."I" knew it was a nude beach, and you can be expecting more of the same in the future! :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
I usually go with a 5 mil farmer john but this past winter found me in a 7mil FJ on several occasions. It was a cold winter here in SWF Even the sno-birds stayed out of the water
 
I don't wear one!!!! I was in the water an average of 6+ hours for the last 3 days, up to my neck. I'm 6"1' and the ocean was great. Didn't find many keepers 2 gold rings and 4 pairs of sunglasses, and half a crab trap, boy that was fun getting it out of the water. It included a long walk to throw it into a trash receptacle, but I didn't want any one swimming and playing to getting hurt on it. So it took me about 15 minutes to dig it completely out of the sand.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom