What's new

I could use a wetsuit recommendation

cudamark

San Diego Ring Finder
🥇 Charter Member
Top Banner Poster
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
15,096
Reaction score
20,179
Golden Thread
1
Location
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 2 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have a Body Glove full wetsuit with a back zip, but, it's not very easy to get into and out of by myself these days. I'd like to get a 2 piece, full suit, with front zippers, and if possible, something 3mm or more thickness. Anyone have one that they like and can recommend?
 
Upvote 0
 
i recommend
 
I like farmer johns, use 3mm for 65F up and 6mm ..65 to 60F and drysuit any colder . Both Zip in the front and shoulder straps than with a Billabong 2mm top over either, I hate being cold...

wetsuit june 2025.webp
 
I like farmer johns, use 3mm for 65F up and 6mm ..65 to 60F and drysuit any colder . Both Zip in the front and shoulder straps than with a Billabong 2mm top over either, I hate being cold...

View attachment 2233022
this used to be my winter outfit - younger yrs
I went thru a lot of combos in the beginning - got hyperthermia a few times
but this one is 7MM all around for New England waters in winter
I get tired before i get cold
1762852849798.webp
 
I like farmer johns, use 3mm for 65F up and 6mm ..65 to 60F and drysuit any colder . Both Zip in the front and shoulder straps than with a Billabong 2mm top over either, I hate being cold...

View attachment 2233022
I like farmer johns, use 3mm for 65F up and 6mm ..65 to 60F and drysuit any colder . Both Zip in the front and shoulder straps than with a Billabong 2mm top over either, I hate being cold...

View attachment 2233022
I like OBN's comment on this suit combo because I like it's versatility for different situations ! I traveled around the states dredging and in different water temps so this would of worked for me being adaptable !
 
I have several different wet suits for hunting Atlantic in winter. I bought mine used.

I like the farmer John set the best, more versatile, don't always have to wear the top if only wading waist deep.

It is also easy to carry my firearm in the bottoms of Farmer John high on my chest yet still concealed if I wish.
 
It is also easy to carry my firearm in the bottoms of Farmer John high on my chest yet still concealed if I wish.
Great to know TH, been wondering how I could carry my 9mm if wearing waders or wet suit. What type of holster arrangement are you using?

I use hard Tulster belt holsters for outside the house EDC but also have Blackhawk S.T.A.C.H.E. Nacho belly bands which I can wear with anything and position any way I want. Been thinking about picking up a .380 to carry when detecting, smaller, lighter.
 
Great to know TH, been wondering how I could carry my 9mm if wearing waders or wet suit. What type of holster arrangement are you using?

I use hard Tulster belt holsters for outside the house EDC but also have Blackhawk S.T.A.C.H.E. Nacho belly bands which I can wear with anything and position any way I want. Been thinking about picking up a .380 to carry when detecting, smaller, lighter.
Detected last night at low tide in mist and fog working a 5 foot cut that I spotted earlier in the day! had a funny feeling I wasn’t alone. Visibility was so limited, especially with my glasses, getting fogged and wet, and my headlamp picking up the fog and creating a blinding wall. thinking to myself it’d be nice to have my 45 with me fortunately, I’m in a pretty good area with low low crime rate but still I had that funny feeling….. stay vigilant!
Here’s a pic of the cut earlier in the day two hours prior to high tide
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4158.webp
    IMG_4158.webp
    5.6 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I want to start to do some freshwater detecting this next year. Getting some things together for the feet and hand protection.
My hands suffer from the cold so they need protection for any air temperatures of under 40F. Water it's probably 60F+.

20251124_071613.webp
20251124_071622.webp
20251124_072125.webp


The feet are covered now.

20251124_071710.webp
20251124_072122.webp
20251124_072137.webp


Just have to invest in a suit of some sorts now. Interesting thread as the responses are giving me some options.
The suit will have to something that is not too difficult to get on and off. I have an issue with my hands. (The right I basically use only the ring and little fingers to grip) Left the index isn't too helpful but it works.
So a suit has to be big zippers or something along those lines.
 
Last edited:
Took me several years to get the right warm suit combo for water under 60F. I ended up going drysuit, then once the water temps start to drop I can start layering the under garment as needed, down to about 38 to 40F water temps I'm warm. Once it goes below 40F then my feet start to get cold after a couple hours. I do use a heated glove liner under the drygloves at those temps.

Yesterday was nice, sun was out and WT was 49F, AT 53F, maybe my last trip out on the boat for the year.
{E171925C-813E-40A5-A8CC-0915C8E9751B}.webp
 
Well, I've tried on one of the NeoSport farmer john style front zip suits, but, No Way I can get in and out of that thing without help. I may as well just keep using my one piece Body Suit wetsuit. I'm trying to find something that is easy to do myself, as sometimes I just don't have the help available. A two piece would give me more options as sometimes it's just too hot to use a full suit when wading in cold water. Being able to use just the lower section would be helpful I think.
 
Last edited:
Took me several years to get the right warm suit combo for water under 60F. I ended up going drysuit, then once the water temps start to drop I can start layering the under garment as needed, down to about 38 to 40F water temps I'm warm. Once it goes below 40F then my feet start to get cold after a couple hours. I do use a heated glove liner under the drygloves at those temps.

Yesterday was nice, sun was out and WT was 49F, AT 53F, maybe my last trip out on the boat for the year.
View attachment 2234945
What make of dry suit have had good luck with?
I know the certified divers pretty well use the dry suits in our bay. The surface is soup, 10+ft down its below 60s in the summer even.
 
Took me several years to get the right warm suit combo for water under 60F. I ended up going drysuit, then once the water temps start to drop I can start layering the under garment as needed, down to about 38 to 40F water temps I'm warm. Once it goes below 40F then my feet start to get cold after a couple hours. I do use a heated glove liner under the drygloves at those temps.

Yesterday was nice, sun was out and WT was 49F, AT 53F, maybe my last trip out on the boat for the year.
View attachment 2234945
Here is my 1st dry suit bought this year works great fits great I need to figure out what or rather which gloves I should get for winter water hunting. However, it’s not gonna be the easiest to take off with the back zipper. I actually needed to buy some silicone DW 40 that helped with the zipper glide and that helped a lot.
My water temp now in the harbor is at 45°
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4355.webp
    IMG_4355.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 56
What make of dry suit have had good luck with?
I know the certified divers pretty well use the dry suits in our bay. The surface is soup, 10+ft down its below 60s in the summer even.
I've used Whites, DUI, Viking, Bare and a few off brand ones. All 4 were excellent, only problem all were front zipper except one. A rear zipper which I like for several reasons. First the front zipper suits will leak after 4+ years of use and getting a zipper replaced is close to 400 dollars.... Second the rear zipper is up high, shoulder to shoulder, if it does leak you almost have to be submerged. Third the rear zipper is easy to replace, I've put two in so far. Drysuits are much like waders, you need to have a tube of Aquaseal /cotol 240 ..extra seals as backups....to keep them going after they get some age on them. Also I like the plastic zippers, smooth open and close. The brass zippers you really have to take care of them and they can be very stiff / hard to zip the older they get. Right now I have three drysuits............ 2 are Bare Bilaminate Nex-Gen Pro and last summer I picked up a Pinnacle Freedom rear zipper for 450 dollars, trilaminate, under garments and all.

Just my opinion, DUI makes the best but they are costly.
 
Here is my 1st dry suit bought this year works great fits great I need to figure out what or rather which gloves I should get for winter water hunting. However, it’s not gonna be the easiest to take off with the back zipper. I actually needed to buy some silicone DW 40 that helped with the zipper glide and that helped a lot.
My water temp now in the harbor is at 45°
Nice, looks like neoprene? You must have a brass zipper, they are a little harder. Try this, I have a cord hooked to the zipper, and a nail up high on the corner post. The cord has a loop that I hook to the nail, to zip the suit up.............. you move left to right....to pull the zipper almost closed, then you hand pull it tight.
At one of the places I hunt I have a nail in a tree I use to unzip my suit as Im leaving the beach.

I would recommend SI Tech Glove system.
 
I know what you mean about the difficulty getting a wetsuit off.
I bought a new 5mm front zip with ankle zippers in June and used it most of the summer (Tahoe is cold most of the summer).
I bought it online and only paid $80 for it and didn't expect much, but turned out to be a good quality item. Can't remember the brand, and it's up north, so I can't look.
Those ankle zippers and front entry made all the difference in the world for me!
(Also nice to be able to zip it down and take a whiz when necessary) :laughing7:
 
I gave up on a full wetsuit (after a diarrhea incident) and agree they're a bummer to get off and on easily. Now I just wear 3-4mm pants and a seperate 3-4mm front zip top. Scuba Pro boots.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom