Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone else use a fly fishing vest while metal deteching?
I have an Orvis FFV, very lightweight, that I bought probably 20 years ago
Vern worn from lots of use.
Has multiple large and small pockets to store stuff.

I used it yesterday for the first time, and found it to be perfect.

Just thought I would share this in case someone else is thinking of another way to carry stuff when you head outm

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good idea I usually uses nail apron or a trout fishing bag. But the vest would be nice

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting that you bring that up. I used one of my old Load Bearing Vests (LBV) that was in one of my many kit bags of gear after I retired. It worked very well. with all of the M4 and 9MM mag pouches on it, It also has larger pockets all with Velcro and FASTEC closures so no fear of loosing anything. The Garret Carrot fits nicely in a M4 mag pouch as well. I even had one of my side arm lanyards attached to the pin pointer on my belt. It worked perfectly.

Repurposing of old combat gear. Drunk monkey-1... Football-0.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's interesting. To me it just makes sense. My Orvis has multiple pockets also in the rear.
I do not think it's good for carrying a side arm. Too heavy. So I will continue to holster on my belt, but out of sight.
I am thankful for the many places where there is no need to carry one.
I keep a gal zip lock bag in one of the large front pockets to place my trash fines. Plastic grocery bag works too.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually use different items for different areas. If it's a wide open area I use a pouch (from Matt!), and in brushy/wooded areas I started using a fly fishing vest. Since the vest doesn't stick out like a pouch it doesn't get snagged as much. Admittedly I do get lazy and will wear whatever has my gear in it if I don't feel like swapping stuff over!:tongue3:

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually use different items for different areas. If it's a wide open area I use a pouch (from Matt!), and in brushy/wooded areas I started using a fly fishing vest. Since the vest doesn't stick out like a pouch it doesn't get snagged as much. Admittedly I do get lazy and will wear whatever has my gear in it if I don't feel like swapping stuff over!:tongue3:

No matter what part of the world or state we are from, we are all pretty much alike.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't used a fly fishing vest, but I have a photographers vest that has about the right size & number of pockets. Works great! And it's been hanging in the closet since the film days it's gotten repurposed. Doesn't snag on brush & trees.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good idea on the fly fishing vest Verne. I had thought of this awhile back, but I usually wear a day backpack when I go out. Howdy from a fellow Georgian from Covington.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES!....
Ok, truth is, here in SW FL, I almost have no use for it.....but I did wear it this past Sunday when it was a chilly 57 degrees.:protest:
The real reason I got it was for those occasional trips up north, and I don't want to be bogged down with a bulky jacket...
Added bonus too, it's got like 30 pockets!:laughing7: Be careful not to fill them up though, it can get heavy....
Oh yea, I've acquired a few detecting patches, now I've got a place to put them.:headbang:

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good idea on the fly fishing vest Verne. I had thought of this awhile back, but I usually wear a day backpack when I go out. Howdy from a fellow Georgian from Covington.

Howdy back at you devidog. I've never been to Covington, as I don't get up to North Georgia very often. When we do, it's usually just on our way to Townsend, Tn. And the latest was around two years ago or more.

I would think that with fly fishing being so popular in your neck of the woods, that it would be pretty easy to find one at a yard sale or swap shop, used but in good condition. Of course you have one, and probably don't need another. Anything fly fishing is just another of my addictions. I have a couple of really funny stories while fishing the river at Townsend, alongside fellow anglers from the Atlanta area. All dressed up in their thousand dollar outfits, while I'm wading in tennis shoes and shorts and ball cap. Always with a vest though. I've never gave up my secret to any of them of tipping my fly with a small bit of nightcrawler. It's a killer. Maybe my secret will be safe here.

Anyways, happy MD.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Dave, I visited THE INJURY THREAD. Gross. I sure hope your toe healed. That was ugly. I've been treating a big toe for probably 10 years. Never with much success, just keeping it at bay.

So, do you keep a first aid kit pretty near when you go out for a MD hunt?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at fly fishing vest, and it felt like I was wearing a bib, good for fly fishing though, but I did end up with a vest for carrying a concealed weapon, waist length, lots of pockets, VERY sturdy, a little heavy, and a little warm in summer, but works great. I do not always carry a CW, only when I'm off the beaten path, nice option to have though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread