Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are a lot of factors here, soil conditions where you live, hunting beaches or salt water, fresh water and land? Guess i'm saying we need a bit more info. also whats your price range? you can spend anywhere from 200 to several thousand for a detector.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$160.00 - $760.00

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my opinion, for what it's worth. I say a good beginner metal detector is one that when you decide to "move up" to a more complex model, will still have a useful place in your tool chest of treasure hunting equipment. If at all possible you should try to get to a dealer and try out a few if just for a few minutes, some you will hate right off the bat(for me that is anything with a bell tone). Just because someone is a beginner doesn't mean that they have to by a detector marketed as a beginner model. If I, myself were just starting out and was on a budget, I would get a Tesoro Outlaw with the 3 coils, If and when I have to buy a detector for my youngest daughter it will be a Tesoro Mojave just because those are the types of detectors I like, you might hate them. I bought an Ace 250 for my oldest daughter years ago and when she quit using it, it got sold.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my old ones lol. But not sure I could let one of the go. Look at finds then look at a persons profile to see what they use. There will always be a better detector around the corner. The ATPro and AT Gold while a lil pricey are a good start. But any entry level machine can be bought for a few hundred dollars. Hobby Lobby sells em even cheaper than that. My first upgrade was a used detector. Unless you know the person I would buy new, and from a forum sponsor. If there is a issue or question after the purchase, you may see you money gone and left to expensive repairs. I use Barts Big Boys Toys but if they are a sponsor here you will be ok. Now prospecting and finding coins is two different detectors. You would not want to take a gold detector into a trashy park. There is limits to metal detectors, to include what extra tools you may want to help you find targets. Last, you will dig trash. A lot at first, maybe more after you learn your detector. There is lots of friendly folks on here who will be glad to help.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A metal detector finds metal. Never found a working metal detector that didn't find metal. So, there all 'good'. It's more about the operator as to how 'good' a machine is.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a bounty hunter quik silver and found tons of clad coins and pull tabs mostly nothing of value but had alot of fun and learned quite a bit while i was at it. Im now ready to upgrade after a year feeling im missing out on the deeper targets and some false IDs. so I would recommend starting somewhat cheap and making sure your in for the long haul then upgrade as needed. The bounty hunter cost me like 130 dollars most people would laugh at it but hey did the job got me hooked..good luck with whatever ya get

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet.

For a beginner, all of the major brands have a range of detectors that will work for you. I recommend you watch videos and listen to the tones for example do you want to hear the Garrett bong tones, the beeps from most other brands or the Bwoop tones the Minelabs give. What if any info do you want to see on the screen and how is it best presented. These are personal preferences. I started with an $89 detector which had 3 tones and after 60 days of detecting every free moment I was ready for a more advanced detector wanting more depth. My 1st detector would have found a majority of the keepers I dug using more advanced higher dollar units. I like to see target ID numbers to assist in my decision to dig, others just want a tone or see the target range show on the screen. That 1st detector paid for itself in 2 months. My 2nd detector paid for itself in about 4 to 6 months. This hobby can fund itself if you are a serious MDer.

A couple more things to think about is how heavy is the detector and are there any optional coils from the manufacturer or aftermarket makes.

Good Luck in what ever you choose.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
It really depends on what you can afford. Figure out how much you want to spend, find out what detectors fall in your price range, watch videos on the ones that are in that price point. Metal detectors range from about 150 all the way up to several thousand dollars. Entry levels are fine, they go beep when they go over metal. The depth depends largely on how big the coil is, so if you want to find older coins, look for a detector that has a larger coil. Also look for one that has aftermarket coils because you will want one that has a smaller coil for trashy areas and old home sites.

I started with a bounty hunter, went to whites machines and now I own an etrac. The etrac brand new is around 1500 dollars. And there are others that are more expensive than it.

Honestly though I wouldn't spend that kind of money on your first one. Make sure you are going to like the hobby before plunking down that kind of change for a detector. Lots of good choices under 500. The fisher f2, folks seem to like awful well. If you want a waterproof detector, I think the garrett at pro just had a price reduction.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for a newbie for finding gold and coins also can you find platinum with them and what is the cost price rang for a good one start thanks

Surprising to say...Harbor Freight has what they call a "9 function metal detector with armrest" that's a VLF type, and has a lot of good reviews and some YouTube videos. Some of the reviewers compare the HF unit to their more expensive Garretts and others, and say it's better than the units they have that they paid up to a few hundred dollars for. It seems to go at least 5 or 6 inches deep with some reviewers saying it goes to about a foot deep. It has discrimination, a built-in pinpointer, and a waterproof coil.

Obviously not a high quality instrument for the price, but most reviewers say they've abused it a bit and it has lasted well. They cost $48, but if you have a typical HF 20%-off coupon which you can get from a flyer in the store, you can pick the unit up for under $40. Harbor Freight also sells an inexpensive pinpointer that also gets good reviews.

I'm new to the hobby too (first post here) and cannot answer your question about platinum, but I assume that if it's metal, and it's not microscopically sized nor waaay too deep, then this unit will find it. For 40 bucks, and if you are trying to find out if you will like this hobby, I don't think you can go wrong.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Something to consider - purchasing a used detector from here at the "Treasure Related Stuff For Sale" forum.

Some of the older detectors sell dirt cheap, and you should never believe just because say the ACE250 or the later versions are any better. I bought my Fisher 1260X in late 1983, still have it. I dug silver dimes at 10" repeatedly, waded through a bonfire site absolutely filled with hundreds upon hundreds of nails plucking out coins. I read here earlier that the ACE400 is only rated for 8". My old 1260X is better than that and it's nearly 35 years old.

Moral of the story, there's some great older detectors out there.

Take a look in the for sale forum for something in your price range, and then ask questions about it. Be patient and choose wisely.

Edit: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teknetics now sells their detectors direct from their website. The AmeriTek group,of machines are great value for money and the Minuteman model is the same machine as their Eurotek Pro but at a better price - $200 with free shipping if you have a discount code - here's one of you're interested A1485.

If you are talking about gold nuggets however, the Fosher Gold Bug Pro or the Garrett ATgold might be a better choice.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions