AEmedic

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2022
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ordered a CTX 3030 w/17" coil. I am brand new to the hobby, aside from a $70 cheapo machine a number of years ago.
I am buying everything, so I just ordered a Predator digging tool and shovel and I'm on the hunt for a good deal on a Pro-Find 35.
I know I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, what is the best resource to orient me to the 3030?
I am excited to start exploring, once it warms up a little...

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Andy Sabisch book for the CTX. Read it and go detecting, then read it again. You will not be disappointed with the CTX but it will take some time to understand it. I'd stick with the stock 11" coil and preloaded programs until you get the hang of it. Lots of good youtube videos out there too. I'm new to the CTX as well but have been detecting for many years. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% agree with Saker! If you haven't created a test garden with various coins and trash items, do it. It will help you see the FE and CO numbers for each target. You will need that Predator shovel, so practice how to dig "U" shaped plugs. Let us know how it goes!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
CTX,800,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a CTX 3030 w/17" coil. I am brand new to the hobby, aside from a $70 cheapo machine a number of years ago.
I am buying everything, so I just ordered a Predator digging tool and shovel and I'm on the hunt for a good deal on a Pro-Find 35.
I know I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, what is the best resource to orient me to the 3030?
I am excited to start exploring, once it warms up a little...
What is your main type of target you’re looking for?

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
CTX,800,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I have a main type of target... I will be detecting in historic sites and along beaches but am equal opportunity exploring.
If it’s one piece of advice I could offer it’s this…
1) Turn machine on
2) Set “Sensitivity” to “Auto+3”
3) Press the “Noise cancel” button and wait for 25-30 seconds for it to find the channel it wants.
4) Go hunt
Just use it like this for a day. Report back what happens.🙂

OP
A

AEmedic

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2022
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it’s one piece of advice I could offer it’s this…
1) Turn machine on
2) Set “Sensitivity” to “Auto+3”
3) Press the “Noise cancel” button and wait for 25-30 seconds for it to find the channel it wants.
4) Go hunt
Just use it like this for a day. Report back what happens.🙂
Thank you, once I get it and get it all set up, I will definitely try that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Anderson Detector Shafts