Foil shows 4 bars deep while I'm right on top of it?

Feb 25, 2022
Brand new user of the Simplex +, I've really only used it twice so far, I noticed though when I was on top of foil it would register as 4-5 bars deep in the ground, even when I could see it on the surface, what's the deal with that? I did a auto ground balance and other targets seemed to ring up at the proper depth, TIA

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have my Simplex anymore but we might need some more information or someone with one could test. I do know that small foil items tend to throw the depth meter off. So a small gum wrapper on the surface could show 3/4 bars. I personally rarely pay attention to depth meters *few exceptions to this but it is also entirely possible that the Simplex was detecting the foil and some other targets or minerals in the ground. A good test would be try different size foil targets on a concrete surface (no rebar for obvious reasons) and see how the depth meter responds with the size of the object and how far you hold the coil off the ground. Ground balance can also throw these depth meters off.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the depth meters on most detectors function on "coin-sized" objects. I've seen this happen on my E-TRAC as well.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, most detectors with a depth meter are calibrated for coin sized objects. Coin sized usually means round with well defined rims, some thickness and with weight around 1.5 grams and higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread