Folks I think I?ve had it really, America as we knew it gone, I?d like to pack it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn?t political folks first of all. Unless you are a fortunate one or sun most are not. Point is western Pennsylvania used to be a nicer place late 60s early 70s, job wise it was here, Sharon steel, Westinghouse, General Motors, Delphi in Ohio. All gone or a fraction of there old self, to be truth most plants are gone. Point making I?m tired of living around here, not trying to run from anything other than these dead end jobs and the disgusting human beings that are pathetic. Where to go I?m asking you being in late 50s I prefer warmer weather not necessarily Florida, being no pension I must work until I?m dead, but being that confirmed I want to enjoy the time I have in a more pleasant environment if you no what I mean, I?m rather work and struggle at a tiki bar than meltdown here, anyone have any reasonable places or advice. I?m in good health but yeah I?ve had enough folks my family are passed on so you get my drift, thanks for reading peace of mind is priceless it?s not about material things chasing false narratives, god bless

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every place and everything was nicer in the 60's and 70's. Good luck on finding that special spot.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trezurehunter is correct. Florida has more share of natural garbage than western PA does. I would not go there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn?t political folks first of all. Unless you are a fortunate one or sun most are not. Point is western Pennsylvania used to be a nicer place late 60s early 70s, job wise it was here, Sharon steel, Westinghouse, General Motors, Delphi in Ohio. All gone or a fraction of there old self, to be truth most plants are gone. Point making I?m tired of living around here, not trying to run from anything other than these dead end jobs and the disgusting human beings that are pathetic. Where to go I?m asking you being in late 50s I prefer warmer weather not necessarily Florida, being no pension I must work until I?m dead, but being that confirmed I want to enjoy the time I have in a more pleasant environment if you no what I mean, I?m rather work and struggle at a tiki bar than meltdown here, anyone have any reasonable places or advice. I?m in good health but yeah I?ve had enough folks my family are passed on so you get my drift, thanks for reading peace of mind is priceless it?s not about material things chasing false narratives, god bless

Check this link out....

Best Places to Retire in the U.S. in 2020-21 | Places Rankings | U.S. News Best Places (usnews.com)

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As one from western PA originally, and hated it, I?ve learned to appreciate country/small town living with plenty of outdoor activity available in SC?.Cheaper living on a smaller budget, not to far to travel to bigger livelier places if the need arises. Going home to PA to visit only validates my opinion. If I had to move back, I would head more south eastern to a small town near the border of Maryland.

I?ve traveled to many other states. South eastern Virginia isn?t bad either IMHO.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural garbage. Hurricanes, most lightning strikes of any state in the US, tornados to go with the hurricanes, and a lot more venomous snakes and nasty insects than western PA. Oppressive heat in the summer with the humidity to go with it. Alligators to chomp you. Many more than in western PA.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to go where you are still going to be able to work, if you don't have any savings to back you up, so that will be something you have to take into consideration or maybe try driving truck if you are single and travel while getting a paycheck, maybe that would be a good way to check out some other states. It is an option. But a lot of the travel would be on a schedule so it's not a sight seeing trip but you can get a feel for how places are and send out feelers about the area from locals.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That?s quite a generalization.....

Trezurehunter is correct. Florida has more share of natural garbage than western PA does. I would not go there.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stay away from Connecticut, my home state. High taxes and they're talking about raising the gasoline tax.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And stay away from NJ and NY and CA. Out west is very, very dry. Be careful if considering there.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was metal detecting Tower 18 in Huntington Beach today. Everyone was super nice. No crowds. Found my share of coins, sand and surf. The weather was perfect with blue sky overhead. Just as beautiful as it was in the 70’s.
I moved to Oregon once and couldn’t wait to get back to SoCal.
I guess it’s just a matter of perspective. Well that and having awesome weather. Best of luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural garbage. Hurricanes, most lightning strikes of any state in the US, tornados to go with the hurricanes, and a lot more venomous snakes and nasty insects than western PA. Oppressive heat in the summer with the humidity to go with it. Alligators to chomp you. Many more than in western PA.

LOL, you mean life. I lived in midwest for over 25 years in Mo, Ia, Il, Mn, Ne and Co, hurricanes give you lots of warnings, tornados almost no warnings, I saw more tornadoes in midwest, saw far more rattlesnakes, water moccasins and copperheads in Mo than I ever see in Florida, mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds in Mn and ND and the rest of the bugs are just bugs. Alligators you respect and know you dont swim in lakes and rivers during mating season. No snow to ever shovel, no snow storms, no ice storms, no frost to scrape off windshields, you can fish, metal detect year round and you can wear shorts and tshirts 11 months a year. I can also cruise in my Miata with top down any time it isnt raining
It is all just how you look at it.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, its how you look at it. Age also is a consideration. People are discriminated against once that grey hair starts coming in. Also, good to have a decent hospital system not too far away. I spied a nice area northeast of Hershey, PA today. Lots of trees, not that many houses. But you'd have to commute to work and the roads were horrendous up there today.

I liked Montreal when I used to visit my daughter there BUT the wind whips all year round. And it's Canada, eh!

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate all responses, winters just to dam long fellas, as you all no when you get older that sucks, you see I’m not couch potato or tv person so I appreciate the outside, I don’t require beach , but a hour from would be nice anything from North Carolina on down to Florida sounds appealing. I’m lucking up till now no health operations, need to go to eye doctor starting to see floaters , I currently don’t wear glasses. Oh hell anyway that’s the story, I’m single, no kids so that’s the deal.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like North Carolina. The "Golden Triangle" down there has had a lot of bank job opportunities in the past, I haven't checked in a couple years. It's getting expensive though. To the west of there all the jobs dried up, furniture factories closed. You will have to do a ton of research. Heck, even Charleston, SC is in some danger of another major earthquake. Geography was one of my best classes in school(s) and I still love it. It also helps with the digging!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, its how you look at it. Age also is a consideration. People are discriminated against once that grey hair starts coming in. Also, good to have a decent hospital system not too far away. I spied a nice area northeast of Hershey, PA today. Lots of trees, not that many houses. But you'd have to commute to work and the roads were horrendous up there today.

I liked Montreal when I used to visit my daughter there BUT the wind whips all year round. And it's Canada, eh!

I moved back to Florida because I just got tired of shoveling snow off driveway, deck and roof of house, was really tied of the ice storms too. I would go home to Florida for Christmas and run around in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops then when I drove back home I would have to shovel 40 foot of snow in driveway just to get the car in the driveway to unload the car. Midwest had lot of ice storms, especially Missouri, too many times going down the highway backwards or in a spin because of hitting the ice.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent over 10 years just South of Cleveland working for the utility. Then I moved to San Luis Obispo for a year = loved it, but the wife wanted me back North of Detroit. Of course absolutely loved that rush hour driving in snow storms.

Now that I've been retired for 6 years, I'm lazy as all heck :)

And proud of it :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in northern Maryland and I think the last really bad snow was in 1996. That's what I remember. A 12" snow isn't much, the state and counties do a great job here. At least I get something for my tax dollars. The snows haven't piled up and up like they can in other parts of the country. Last actual ice storm was maybe 2011 or so, but power was only out 1 day. Without flooding like in a hurricane, they get it back on quickly. First thing with a move is to count your pennies and job hunt. If you (or anyone) owns real estate or has a year-long lease, those can be additional issues. It's not all that easy to move cross country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread