✅ SOLVED Follow Up: Not a fossil or anything Native American, but???

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi y'all -

A month or so ago, I posted about this find ...but did not have any luck in identifying.

The other day, I took the two big pieces that I mentioned on that thread and started sanding them, just because I was about out of options. And, to my surprise, it started to shine. I haven't gone too far because if it does happen to be something of value, don't want to mess it up. As you can see in the pictures, it is metal all the way through. Putting the two pieces together, it's clear that it was round/cylindrical and it *may* be tapered from top to bottom a bit.

The metal is very light. I would guess aluminum, but what do I know? That largest piece is about six inches.

ALSO, if you look at the original post, the "rocks" I mentioned that I found nearby - I put one of those in my tumbler for about a week and it came out to also clearly be just a piece of metal, maybe slag. I have several small similar pieces of that same material.

Here are the new pics. Any help trying to get this mystery solved would be very very much appreciated!!!

Larger piece BEFORE sanding
11.jpg

Both pieces AFTER sanding
s2.jpg

Closer view. You can see the metal shining through
s1.jpg

As I sanded more, the same material/texture was found on the back
s3.jpg

Close-up of side
s4.jpg

Rock/slag BEFORE tumbler
21.jpg

Rock/slag AFTER tumbler
22.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your piece with the groove marks on it looks like it could be for connecting hoses together along with clamps or crimps. A coupler for hoses they can be very large in diameter.

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are u sure the groved piece is metal at all? It almost looks like it could be a piece of an old planting pot made of ceramic material.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are u sure the groved piece is metal at all? It almost looks like it could be a piece of an old planting pot made of ceramic material.

Yeah, it's definitely metal, which is why I feel like pottery is probably ruled out. Thanks. I actually think BOTB nailed it above.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your piece with the groove marks on it looks like it could be for connecting hoses together along with clamps or crimps. A coupler for hoses they can be very large in diameter.

I'm pretty darn sure you nailed it, BOTB! Did some searching and pretty easily found this one, which is six inches across, and made of aluminum. It sure seems to match. Amazing ID!!!

Picture1.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ACTUALLY, I'm marking it solved. I found this one that has almost the exact pattern. I traced the inside of my fragment and it looks like mine was about 8 inches. Again, THANKS!!! A junk find, sure, but a pretty neat one, IMHO.

1000501-2.jpg

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used that exact fitting that is why it looked familiar, have had to fix hoses before delivering bulk sugar and flour.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread