BIG61AL

Attachments

• 6.23.06 finds 003.jpg
    6.23.06 finds 003.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 661
Upvote 0

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
That is NOT a gold plated ring. It says 14KP which means 14K Plumb. Plumb meaning exactly 14K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU DID FIND REAL GOLD.

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
10 or so years ago, a law was enacted to keep all karats of gold within a specified tolerance. Old gold - 10K could be anywhere from 9 kt to 11 kt, 14K could be 12.8 K to 15 K, etc. Guess what end of the scale most jewelry makers went to.
Since the law Karats were toleranced within +or- 5%. that's what the "p" plumb means.

If you have any doubt, test with Nitric Acid.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to rain on this parade, but I understood 14KP to mean 14 karat plate. I hope I'm wrong, because it is a nice ring, plated or not! HH!

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
We have recently started selling a new line of Jewelry. All of these items are stamped 14KP. Many Customers emailed us and were concerned the Jewelry may be plated. If you purchase a Piece of Fine Jewelry Stamped KP You should be aware this is a GOOD thing!

14KP Means that You have Purchased a Ring that is EXACTLY 14 KARAT/ CARAT GOLD it has been tested and the GOLD Is 58.8% PURE! In some cases, JEWELRY MANUFACTURERS will sell 13KT -13.5KT STAMPED WITH 14KT STAMP. This is an ACCEPTABLE Practice in the JEWELRY Trade- 14KP TRANSLATES TO "FOURTEEN KARAT PLUMB", SO YOU CAN SEE THIS IS A GOOD THING!

Anyone else who thinks 14KP means plate, I will buy your 14KP rings for $1 each!!!!

Goldringer

May 6, 2006
Earth
midas777gold said:
We have recently started selling a new line of Jewelry. All of these items are stamped 14KP. Many Customers emailed us and were concerned the Jewelry may be plated. If you purchase a Piece of Fine Jewelry Stamped KP You should be aware this is a GOOD thing!

14KP Means that You have Purchased a Ring that is EXACTLY 14 KARAT/ CARAT GOLD it has been tested and the GOLD Is 58.8% PURE! In some cases, JEWELRY MANUFACTURERS will sell 13KT -13.5KT STAMPED WITH 14KT STAMP. This is an ACCEPTABLE Practice in the JEWELRY Trade- 14KP TRANSLATES TO "FOURTEEN KARAT PLUMB", SO YOU CAN SEE THIS IS A GOOD THING!

Anyone else who thinks 14KP means plate, I will buy your 14KP rings for $1 each!!!!

Great stuff, can you tell me how to determine if a ring is white gold or Platinum? I have one that is supposed to be platinum but has no marking.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that gold ring! :D Rings are fun to find no matter if they are real or not. HH Burdie

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that is a real nice Gold ring. I also like the look of that pin you found. Could that be gold as well?

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Congrats on the wedding band as Midas said it is 14k, most plated rings will say HGE, or GE. One easy way I have found you can tell is where does it signal at on machine. Most that are gold will hit in the foil-tab area, with some really heavy ones getting up around zinc cent. Most gold plated rings will run higher as around the zinc-copper penny area. If you start finding a lot of jewlery a test kit is invaluable
hh
dave+bobbie

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
I was gonna speak up even B-4 i read the post by Midas.I can see soft dents and scratches in that ring that say "solid gold".Congrats and nice job....Joe

OP
OP
B

BIG61AL

Thank for all the helpful info! I guess the name of this post should changed from "Fools gold" to "Fools first gold"

AL

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold plating uses solutions that actually plate a very thin layer of 24K gold onto the object. This is technically much easier and cheaper than going to the trouble of plating out "14K gold" onto something. It is a lot easier to plate out a pure metal than some alloy of definite composition.

The pure gold layer on a plated object is so thin that it doesn't make a big difference in the cost of the gold used, so they might as well plate with 24K. If you rub it long enough with metal polish or #0000 steel wool, you'll wear right through it. I'm betting that your ring won't do that.

I've read the same things others are saying about "plumb" also. 14 karats, on the nose. You could have a jeweler check the specific gravity for you, that would tell you pretty quick.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
It's still a nice ring even if fake.

I was finding gold rings a yr or so ago consistently.

Now I can't find any. I dig tons of foil nickles and tabs.

Gold is like that. It comes and goes.

Don't got any gold yet this year.

Found like 7 gold last year.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread