For all you copper cent cullers

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I have a question, I havent really gotten crazy about cents, I do however believe that copper is only going to rise in price. I am wondering if any of you actually sell your copper from pre 82 cents? I see them on my classifieds every once in a while, but I cant ever recall them actually saying sold. I think for the average person to pay 2 or 3 times face value for pennies is still a foreign concept. So are all of you penny people just holding your copper pennies, or do any of you sell them for a profit? (and if so, how much can you get for them, and where or who are you selling them too?)

Upvote 0

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coin shop pays two cents each for pennies. I'm probably going to sell a box (25.00 face) this weekend and buy an ASE with the procedes. Cheap silver is how I look at it. I won't sell all of my hoard. Just enough to scratch my silver itch every now and then.

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
i want to find where your coin shop is! i get $160 for $100 face on ebay. barely fits in a medium flat rate box so i can ship 68 lbs for $14.95

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
usandthem said:
My coin shop pays two cents each for pennies. I'm probably going to sell a box (25.00 face) this weekend and buy an ASE with the procedes. Cheap silver is how I look at it. I won't sell all of my hoard. Just enough to scratch my silver itch every now and then.

How do they know that you have not gotten a zinc cent mixed in here and there, it sounds like alot of work for a dealer to try to verify all that volume of copper cents. Do they just get to the point where they trust you or what?

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's mostly a trust thing. However, if one or two zincs accidently make it into the mix he's not going to be hurt too bad. He's waiting for it to reach 5X face to sell.

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
well I guess I better make some calls to see about the dealers in my area, If I can find anyone who is willing to pay 2X face, I think I will go get me the coinalyzer, and start culling copper. It sounds like fun, something to do with my son, and im sure you guys find some good wheats too, maybe even something older from time to time... Do any of you guys have any thoughts on a certain coin analyzer, the only one I know anything about is the coinalyzer, but I know there are many out there... any suggestions?

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
TheRockDoc said:
well I guess I better make some calls to see about the dealers in my area, If I can find anyone who is willing to pay 2X face, I think I will go get me the coinalyzer, and start culling copper. It sounds like fun, something to do with my son, and im sure you guys find some good wheats too, maybe even something older from time to time... Do any of you guys have any thoughts on a certain coin analyzer, the only one I know anything about is the coinalyzer, but I know there are many out there... any suggestions?

I've had good results with...
You do need to be a bit creative ....

If you want to see my home-made one, check out ... That thread has a ton of good information if you do consider making your own. It's not for the meek or faint of heart though.

Last edited:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
TheRockDoc said:
usandthem said:

How do they know that you have not gotten a zinc cent mixed in here and there, it sounds like alot of work for a dealer to try to verify all that volume of copper cents. Do they just get to the point where they trust you or what?

I re-wrap all my copper cents.. and the rolls can be verified to be copper by weight range.

I don't like those bags stuffed full of copper cents.. no real way to tell what's in there or the exact amount. I re-wrap and roll them for future sale if need be and put them into penny boxes. I'm really holding onto 1979 and prior Canadian coppers. Those can be melted and command higher premiums in the U.S. if you're selling within the U.S.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can verify it by weight. if you are buying copper cents (U.S.) its 145 cents per pound, very easy to verify. "Zincolns" are 181 cents per pound. So if its even remotely off from 145 either you know you got shorted or theres a bunch of "Zincolns" mixed in.

I bought a shipping scale from amazon accurate to 0.05 lbs for like 41$ , its pretty nice has a digital display on a cable so you can mount it anywhere.

I'd sell for 2x face, that would be great without the Feebay charges as well.

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV
You were probably seeing my add. I do sell them on classifieds . I never mark them as sold as I always have some to sell. My last ad is like 85 days old and I still get calls on it.

I started getting cents because I wanted to mix something in when turning in half's. I wanted to make it look like I was just not doing just half's and in the mean time I have totally gotten into it.

Sold to all types of people - schools teachers , doom and gloom guys etc.
I usually get 1.8X to 1.9X Face on the copper selling locally.

Spjegues.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Bigheed said:
you can verify it by weight. if you are buying copper cents (U.S.) its 145 cents per pound, very easy to verify. "Zincolns" are 181 cents per pound. So if its even remotely off from 145 either you know you got shorted or theres a bunch of "Zincolns" mixed in.

I bought a shipping scale from amazon accurate to 0.05 lbs for like 41$ , its pretty nice has a digital display on a cable so you can mount it anywhere.

I'd sell for 2x face, that would be great without the Feebay charges as well.

It's probably hard to tell if there's one or two zincolns in the mix. I use a small scale to weigh all my rolls to the gram. I just like them rolled better than loose in a bag. But that's just my preference. I usually sell for 1.5 x Face. It saves people a little and seems reasonable. Of course, right now.. I'm out. However in terms of quantity, I don't do that much since re-wrapping and rolling them takes a lot of time.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the rule of thumb is 1-2% can be lost from wear and tear over the years, i'd say if you are over 5%, def 10% off, reject the load!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread