for kimsdad

xxxbockxxx

May 29, 2009
west central illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
about two years ago i read an article in my local newspaper about a man in the area who would metal detect. it sparked my intrest in the hobby. i thought about buying a detector and this spring i bought my ace 250 to the laughter of my family (however, i think my father-in-law is interested in getting a detector now) . i didn't care, i had high hopes of finding some of these older coins that are posted on here. i started out in my back yard. i began by learning the machine like everyone says to do. currently the oldies have eluded me. i thought i would be able to find something around my home since it was built in 1896 but no luck. i was able to find around 200 coins or 15 bucks this year. i have gone to parks and schools, places that people would be. i have met a few others in my area who metal detect. all of whom were very nice and shared some of their stories. i am hoping that i will be able to see some of them out next year. maybe they would have some info for me on where these older coins are hiding. i have a few ideas where some locations are but i do not know whom to contact to get permission to go on the property. i would also guess that the locations would be for more experienced hunters due to them possibly being hunted quite a bit.

i do agree with what you said about posting but it sounds like more people are interested in hearing about the older coins. i have really only found clad. the picture here has what i believe are my other notable finds for the year: a school badge, a token of b. ward beam's daredevils with the lords prayer on the back, what i believe is an old gas cap from a lawnmower, and i think a glass bottle topper. i enjoy hearing others stories and the videos that they post. keep em coming. when i find my first silver or older coin you can count on me posting it.

brad

Attachments

• 100_0820.JPG
    100_0820.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 170

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That's a good start Brad! Haven't used an Ace and until the guys around this forum showed me what they were finding with it I didn't have a high opinion of it. But it may be one of the most under-rated rigs out there. More than capable of finding the oldies.

You gotta get Fiend's take on it, and Joe's. I'm sure you'll be swinging it over older coinage if you haven't already, but interpreting what the machine is telling you about the targets is the key. Older coins hide from all of us, well almost all of us. But they can be "unhidden" depending on the rig and the ground it's on.

As to Neil's post, we're not competitive, at least I sure hope we're not because I'm bringing up the rear somewhere. Today I scored a total 47 cents clad with out diggin a single target less than three inches deep. That's one quarter, one dime, one nickel and 7 mems all around 5-6 inches. I certainly won't be putting up a pic of those digs but may revel in the glory or lack thereof that comes from it hee online. Just having fun!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Hey Brad, nice pile of loot you have there! My Dad and I were really into scoring high numbers of Quarters, Nickels, Dimes, Pennies the first year we got started with our Ace 250's. But we have since moved on to silver counts. The clad still comes up, but if I dug every single shallow clad signal I don't think I would have nearly as many silver as I do this year. I really haven't put much time into detecting this year, as I might have last year. Some of the other guys here that have hundreds of silver also have buckets of clad and put in A LOT of time. The Ace 250 is a great little machine, but it will be harder to search trashy ground with it. For maximum depth you'll need to open up everything except for IRON masking.

When you are ready to upgrade, consider a used Minelab Explorer II if you can find on with a Sunray probe all the better (I've seen these go for $500 on eBay with the probe). It will be a trick to learn it, but once you do you will be unstoppable.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad, you're doing well. . . and having fun at the same time :thumbsup:
The older coins and neat relics will soon follow.

Just for fun, log on to. . . HistoricAerials.com

Enter the address of where you live and then look at the aerial photos. You'll find it interesting how the land use
in your area has changed since 1938. . . you can reference where the older parks were. . . or still are :wink: and
then go out and find some of those "oldies" . . . Happy Hunting!

Take care,
watercolor

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
WTG, Brad! Looks like a nice pile of coins there!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Plus, you are now a Lieutenant in the safety patrol!

It's good to hear from you, and we're looking forward to more of your posts! :wink:

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great start xxxbockxxx..... The Garrett Ace 250 is a good machine capable of finding Oldies as well...........I have owned 4-5 different Garrett machines & I started my detecting experience with the 1 knob Ace...
If you want to improve your odds of finding silver & gold with it,as well as getting $$$'s in clad try this.
DO Not dig any cent signals less than about 3-4 inches....Dig ALL Quarter and Dime signals you come across, & dig all Nickle signals till you can better decipher what may be a tab from a nickle,and you will get some 4"-6" V-nickles and Buffalo Nickles,and sooner or later get the gold ring.
If you just concentrate on the higher value targets,and the 4" & + cent signals it will give you better odds of finding silver and wheat cents..Where you find wheat cents and Indian cents ,you will find silver at the same depths,and sometimes will be surprised that that 4"+ cent signal is actually a silver dime... If you waste to much time digging surface - 3" Indian Head signals....You are going to be plagued with a jar full of zinc pennies that the bank will not take cause they are too curroded.
I have been tumble cleaning memorial cents for 2 days,and will finally finish tommorrow,,,,a couple thousand........
That for all the time I have spent cleaning & drying them....I will only get $20-$30 for 2,000-3,000 pennies.....The 5 cent coins 10cents and Quarters will add up quickly..........I turned in $154 in clad a couple months ago,and will turn in probably another $100 or so this week......That's enough to purchase an Ace & a pinpointer free and clear....And then there are the silver coins,collectable rarer coins,,,,and jewelry that go along with it.
It's nice to see you post here,and it will be good to see what you will be finding in the future....H.H. Dave

OP
OP
xxxbockxxx

xxxbockxxx

May 29, 2009
west central illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
thanks for the tips and hints. i would like to upgrade to a different detector but my wife wouldn't appereciate me spending more money on a new machine unless i can find more. i just need to get out more often. i plan on it next weekend.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
If you clean the corroded pennies and there is enough to tell that they are a penny the Legally has to accept them, I usually roll them so I don't have to argue... I did some detecting yesterday and I was digging a good solid quarter signal but after going down 5 or 6 inches into the dirt I found an old pull tab Schiltz can lol. The oldies are out there, It sounds like your house has been hunted before or you would have found something around it, if it has any additions on it you might try underneath the house, just be careful and watch out for critters and bugs.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is a great machine and I have found several silver coins and gold with mine. One thing I would suggest is to buy the 9x12 coil (that's all I ever used and it gave me an additional couple of inches of depth). I found 2 gold rings and a gold earring with it. My 18k ring came up as a solid penny and the other ring and the earring were 14k and they both came up as solid nickels. Oh and the 14k's were found in tot lots in the wood chips.

As said above go to historicareals.com and look at the sites around your house and keep an eye out for any old spots to hunt. Good luck and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread