For The Love Of Rock

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I usually practice catch n' release with scrapers and other tools, but I couldn't bring myself to toss this scraper. I found it a few days ago, the material was insta-schwing.

This duckbill end-scraper is made of Cotter Dolomite, which outcrops not too far from here. Pretty stuff, but you don't find a lot of artifacts made from it. Even though Cotter outcrops occur all of the way from NE OK to southern ILL, you won't find prettier varieties than occur here in the southwestern fringe of the Ozarks. The problem is that the stuff is very weathered (especially on the surface), fractured and too volatile to make anything of size with. When you can find nodules of it embedded in limestone it's much more robust and knapper-friendly, but it's not as common.

Attachments

• CotterScraper0.jpg
    CotterScraper0.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 159
Upvote 0
I collect artifacts and I own the work of modern knappers from Tussinger forward to today. And I knap myself and am part of a big collection community. I would sure knapp that rock. It is gorgeous. I am surprised it wasn't used. There must be a reason. Since mankind could stand on two feet he looked for rocks that rang or made that special noise when you hit them with hardstone carried with the the hunt teams. There is evidence in south africa of points - small ones, not dart or spear points, but arrowheads - 160,000 years ago. Using beautiful stone to make nice pieces came later. We see a lot of gemstone arrowheads here. We are working a site right now that has produced a dozen agatized coral, and you hard to heat that stuff hot to work it. Unless you are very very good. It can crack in places clear as glass. But they do not seem to be used points - ritual more likely or gifts to the big guy. That Stone is so beautiful I am surprised we haven't seen it in relics. What the heck is it anyway?

I take that back. Sorry for the edit. I see what it is. But why do you folks think it wasn't used more??? And that piece is so beautiful!!!! I love tools and old stuff like that, and the color of that thing is just so beautiful. It sure looks like somebody got that rock very hot, doesn't it?

And hi everybody. I am new here. Name is actually Gary, but me and my partner publish a magazine named the same as my forum name :)

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Last edited:
I'm. Sure glad I finally checked out this post! I would like your opinion on this material I found on one of my sites here in Florida only last week. I've. Never seen anything like it here and I've seen alot. Is this the same?

IMG_20120825_203639-enhanced.jpg

here some do not know what kind it is tho.
MVC-039S.JPG

MVC-037S.JPG
MVC-040S.JPG

Last edited:
He is doing fine he has a mate . A female albino she is def so spaz is kinda like her ears if he hears something going on then he will go nudge her and wake her up . They are both spoiled to canned cat food and both fat as ticks . We built a huge cage for them at my mother in laws they are like there kids . It worked out ten times better for spaz over there because they are retired and have a lot more time to spend with them than we did .

I'm glad to hear that! We couldn't give him the time and attention that he deserved, I'm very happy to hear that he now has a playmate.

I collect artifacts and I own the work of modern knappers from Tussinger forward to today. And I knap myself and am part of a big collection community. I would sure knapp that rock. It is gorgeous. I am surprised it wasn't used. There must be a reason. Since mankind could stand on two feet he looked for rocks that rang or made that special noise when you hit them with hardstone carried with the the hunt teams. There is evidence in south africa of points - small ones, not dart or spear points, but arrowheads - 160,000 years ago. Using beautiful stone to make nice pieces came later. We see a lot of gemstone arrowheads here. We are working a site right now that has produced a dozen agatized coral, and you hard to heat that stuff hot to work it. Unless you are very very good. It can crack in places clear as glass. But they do not seem to be used points - ritual more likely or gifts to the big guy. That Stone is so beautiful I am surprised we haven't seen it in relics. What the heck is it anyway?

I take that back. Sorry for the edit. I see what it is. But why do you folks think it wasn't used more??? And that piece is so beautiful!!!! I love tools and old stuff like that, and the color of that thing is just so beautiful. It sure looks like somebody got that rock very hot, doesn't it?

And hi everybody. I am new here. Name is actually Gary, but me and my partner publish a magazine named the same as my forum name :)

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

I think I covered most of your questions in my initial post. This exact material has a very limited distribution - it's not common (even though CD itself lays over a large expanse). You CAN find knappable pieces of it, but you have to go through a ton of fractured crap to do so.

Beautiful That's a Killer find!...................HH

Nice one Matt. That is some of the prettiest color I have seen. A very decorative tool. Imagine that it is sharp material if it shatters easily.

looked on eucha last week lakes down should b good looking there but i don't know the area i'm about 30 to the east

Thats a nice find man, I find more end scrapers than any other artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back