53.9 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. I believe it's an Effigy of some kind. What it represents is open to discussion, but I'd say something aquatic like a Fish or a Salamander.

Awesome and very rare piece huntress. Just a terrific find.

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
SRV said:
Very cool. I believe it's an Effigy of some kind. What it represents is open to discussion, but I'd say something aquatic like a Fish or a Salamander.

Awesome and very rare piece huntress. Just a terrific find.

Thanks SRV. I was thinking along those same lines as a fish or maybe even a whale (because of the shape). Maybe the lines along the side represents gills? I am definitely open for suggestions.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
The little grooves (tally marks) are found on many different artifacts, to which i have no clue why. They may apply to number of kills or clicks for windage etc. :dontknow: The long gouge looks to me like the banding in the slate is wearing/eroding away! I have seen plummets with the mouth look on them too, but purposely put there. This does not look intentional! Is the long gouge on both sides of the same end? Its a very nice artifact that i wish was mine! ;D :thumbsup:

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Huntriss!! need two more photos and wet the weight first to make the bands clear. one photo of each side like first or second photo in this post. Axeman!! had a good thought. we need more of the best on Tnet to respond,, no one is not wanted because i do not know for sure who is on that list. Terry

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
tmodel said:
Huntriss!! need two more photos and wet the weight first to make the bands clear. one photo of each side like first or second photo in this post. Axeman!! had a good thought. we need more of the best on Tnet to respond,, no one is not wanted because i do not know for sure who is on that list. Terry

Terry,
Here are the photos you wanted. I agree with Ohioaxeman, it does look like eroding lines on the piece. I tried to get nice clear photos under good light.

Attachments

• wet view 4.jpg
    wet view 4.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 255
  • wet view 3.jpg
    wet view 3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 243
  • wet view 2.jpg
    wet view 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 242

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
You've probably posted it elsewhere, but is it possible to see the entire piece (flat shot, not at an angle.)

It looks like a large grooved bar weight. I've seen lots of them with tally marks along one or two edges. A lot of slate made it down to Kentucky in the Archaic times from Canada, Indiana, Ohio and New York.

There were two or three bar weights found at a bog site in Quebec, Canada with the atlatls still intact, and they were bound inline to atlatl lower on the handle. (Not up high and across the handle like a regular bannerstone.)

The tally marks might have represented something specific, might have helped in fastening the piece to the handle, or might have been purely decorational. Another theory on tally marks that I like is that little grooves and engravings would hold red ochre rubbed on the surface, and it made for a contrast.

The "mouth" does look like it is erroding out of a natural band, but the Archaic groups frequently used natural bands/swirls to show eyes, why not a mouth?

Very nice piece.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
Like Joshuaream says, we need more pics of this! It kinda doesnt look asymetrical all the way around, which may give reasons for the tally marks! Or the tallies could be for grip! I can look at this piece all day and still wonder about its function and uses! I would need to hold it in my hand to satisfy my curiosities, but then i would not want to give it back! LOL... Super Awesome artifact there Huntress! :thumbsup:

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Huntress!! i can not ague with any one that has responded they all have a good point!!! this is why i was so vague on Bo s!! post when asking for more posts did not wont to get your hopes to high! Terry

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
joshuaream said:
You've probably posted it elsewhere, but is it possible to see the entire piece (flat shot, not at an angle.)

It looks like a large grooved bar weight. I've seen lots of them with tally marks along one or two edges. A lot of slate made it down to Kentucky in the Archaic times from Canada, Indiana, Ohio and New York.

There were two or three bar weights found at a bog site in Quebec, Canada with the atlatls still intact, and they were bound inline to atlatl lower on the handle. (Not up high and across the handle like a regular bannerstone.)

The tally marks might have represented something specific, might have helped in fastening the piece to the handle, or might have been purely decorational. Another theory on tally marks that I like is that little grooves and engravings would hold red ochre rubbed on the surface, and it made for a contrast.

The "mouth" does look like it is erroding out of a natural band, but the Archaic groups frequently used natural bands/swirls to show eyes, why not a mouth?

Very nice piece.

I have posted the pictures you asked for below. thanks for looking.

Attachments

• banded slate bar weight 2.jpg
    banded slate bar weight 2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 153
  • banded slate bar weight 1.jpg
    banded slate bar weight 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 147
  • banded slate bar weight 1.jpg
    banded slate bar weight 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 160
  • dry view.jpg
    dry view.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 153
  • banded slate bar weight 2.jpg
    banded slate bar weight 2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 139

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
You definately have an excellent and very beautiful piece of ancient art there Huntress! The reason we want more pictures is because we cant hold it. LOL... My point is if i found it i would be checking it out every 5 minutes of each day, and I'm sure most here would say the same thing! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread