Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last two forest preserve hunts with "kimsdad" have been nothing short
of perfect. . . great company, great weather, and to top it off, a couple of firsts.

DSC001.JPG

DSC002.jpg

Aside from the dozens of shotgun shells we both found (I think "kimsdad" might be digging one
in the photo above), I found ANOTHER CrackerJack prize (Rooster),a couple more pieces of jewelry
near the base of a large tree and a 5-cent, "holed" token. . . which I have no clue as to it's origin.

DSC_6568.JPG

DSC_6566.jpg

After about 2-hours, we moved north to another location where I found 4 early date Wheats. . . the oldest
being a 1909 (no V.D.B. or "S" :-\) but still a first for me, my oldest wheat.

During the first three hours of today's hunt, we both came up short. . . except for a piece of an old stove
(which I ended up carrying around for most of the afternoon :P).

DSC_6567.JPG

It was starting to get late so we decided we should start making our way our way back to the car.
About half-way back to the parking lot, I got several solid signals that were a few inches apart.
The first signal, about 5" deep, turned out to be my FIRST Standing Liberty quarter ever. The second
signal was a piece of iron and my last signal was ANOTHER Standing Liberty!! Well, after spending
another 30-minutes spiraling out from where these were found, I got my last signal of the day. . . a 1916 Buffalo.

DSC004.jpg

DSC_6560.JPG

Even though these aren't the prettiest twins in the woods, they're the sweetest :)

Thanks for looking!
watercolor

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt WC. :thumbsup:
Great post & pictures.
-MM-

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some first rate finds dude. I love to hunt the woods, so peaceful. :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
I been looking at your SLQ's for a few days now ..I swear the first one shows a boob..your sure it's not a 1916?
It appears from the pic that the first is a 1916 SLQ.....but we have to see the back. There is quite a difference in value! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
I been looking at your SLQ's for a few days now ..I swear the first one shows a boob..your sure it's not a 1916?

hogge said:
creeper71 said:
It appears from the pic that the first is a 1916 SLQ.....but we have to see the back. There is quite a difference in value! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, both of those SLQ's have three stars under the eagle so it's a Variety-II. . . (darn). The last numbers where the date would
be appear to be a "0" on one and a "9" on the other. . . but VERY faint. . . I'm still elated to scratch these off my wish list.

TimC (AL) said:
Those are some first rate finds dude. I love to hunt the woods, so peaceful. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tim, The woods are GREAT now but were killers (bugs) a month or two ago with all the rains.

Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Nice set of twins. They are of the oldest variety because being dateless. They started recessing the date with I think 1923 or 1924.
Chris

I wish the U.S. Mint would have recessed the date when they first started minting these. . . oh well.
Chris, now you and the twins get out and find some more O L D copper :D

Thanks again everyone for all the comments :)
watercolor

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
watercolor said:
creeper71 said:

hogge said:
creeper71 said:

Unfortunately, both of those SLQ's have three stars under the eagle so it's a Variety-II. . . (darn). The last numbers where the date would
be appear to be a "0" on one and a "9" on the other. . . but VERY faint. . . I'm still elated to scratch these off my wish list.
I was really hoping it was a 1916 for ya.. I haven't found any SLQ's yet so your doing better then me

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kimsdad said:
Hey Mark,
Wow! Where do I start? Yet another Cracker Jack prize. You're on a streak! ;D That jewelry looks a lot better now that it's been cleaned. I like the colored piece. Is it me, or is that hole in the token a little off center - almost as if someone drilled it.... :icon_scratch:

A big congrats on your first SLQ!!! :thumbsup: You got Doublemint twins! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two for the price of one! I'm glad I was there to see them come out of the ground! :wink: I think you're right - it looks like they might have been in a fire. Until you hit those babies, I was worried that the hunt would be a bust! You made it a success in style! Congrats again, my friend. Maybe we should send out feelers to our wives about going back out there tomorrow.... ::)

nice job there.. I have to agree with them looking like they took some heat!

Oh, who's that old guy in the blue shirt? :tongue3:
Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread