Fork In The Road!

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is where I am now! I am happy with my ATPRO but ever since the CTX3030 came out I wanted to take on a new challenge. Ok fast forward until now. I made up my mind to purchase the 3030 and just got Andy's book today! However after reading so many posts regarding the Equinox800 I am wondering what direction to take. Just look at the viewers at this exact moment as there are 11 viewers on the Equinox site and 1 on the 3030 site! I realize I will get mixed responses and I will also post this thread on the 3030 site. Just want to get enough feedback in order to make a rational decision!

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, the dreaded fk in the road. I’ve never owned or used a 3030 but every thing I’ve heard about it is good except for the weight and price.
I love my 800, it’s light weight for those extended hunts and finds all the goodies

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the Nox 800. I also have a CZ21 and an ATPRO but they rarely get used since I got the Nox.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both. The CTX 3030 is a GREAT unit. So is the Equinox. FWIW, I run the Equinox almost all of the time. Just my two cents...

Steve

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three close friends who all swung the CTX 3030 for several years. They love their CTXs. Two have had shoulder replacement surgery and can't swing it anymore. All three have switched to the Equinox 800 and so far are making good friends with the Nox.

I sure love my 800 and after swinging the CTX I don't know how those guys managed to enjoy hunting with it since it is so heavy........

Jeff

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the responses regarding weight why don't folks look into the Minelab Pro 45 Swing Harness?

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the responses regarding weight why don't folks look into the Minelab Pro 45 Swing Harness?
Weight is not an issue for me but it is a bonus if it's light. However, the harness would be a nuisance if I wanted to set the detector down, the same as a wired headphone. I really enjoy not being tethered to my device.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After researching Garretts and Minelab EQ 800, I just ordered the 800 from barts Big Boys Hobbies. I also have an Excal II, but beaches are closed due to virus, time to start relic hunting!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used but don't own a 3030. I considered the 3030 as a multi-frequency compliment to my Deus. When the Equinox was announced, it seemed to have addressed some of the knocks against the 3030 (weight, complexity, mid-conductive target performance (Nox hits harder at depth on nickels and gold), and recovery speed). Price is also a consideration and ML has now set the bar to a level where I doubt we will see another $2000+ vlf detector hit the market. But make no mistake. The Equinox is not a 3030. There are definitely some high end features of the 3030 that make it superior to the Equinox including a sophisticated discrimination programming scheme and precise 2-D target ID. The 3030 is a deep silver slayer.

That being said, I think the biggest thing Equinox has going for it is it's versatility. The various Equinox search modes are truly different modes optimized for different target types and site conditions by providing different weighted multifrequency profiles and signal processing (Multi IQ) and not just different multi frequency channels and different default user adjustable discrimination and filter settings. Like the Deus, and unlike the 3030, recovery speed is adjustable enabling you to trade off depth vs. separation. Also, the battery does not have to be removed from the Equinox to be recharged which means you are not having to constantly manipulate the battery compartment seals like on the 3030 risking inadvertent damage and water intrusion. The Equinox has seen few water intrusion failures but these appear to be related to manufacturing defects vs. design defects and have all been fully covered by the generous 3 year warranty.

In conclusion, what I would really like to see from ML is a Multi IQ based version of the 3030. A faster, lighter, less expensive 3030 using the latest multifrequency tech but with the target ID and discrimination sophistication of the old 3030. ML has several detectors in development. 2 1/2 years after the Equinox launch, I think a Multi IQ based 3030 tech refresh is not too far away. The 3030 still gets it done in it's deep silver wheelhouse but it is starting to show it's age and reduced value as ML and Nokta have both released very capable detectors in the $300 - $500 range (including the Vanquish multi-frequency machine) that paying top dollar for the 3030 in 2020 does not seem to be such a great value proposition any longer. It's a great detector but I am not sure it is still worth the $2500 price tag at this point. Investment in a gently used 3030 might be the smart way to go at this point, if you don't find the Equinox compelling.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After researching Garretts and Minelab EQ 800, I just ordered the 800 from barts Big Boys Hobbies. I also have an Excal II, but beaches are closed due to virus, time to start relic hunting!
I don't think you will be disappointed with either the detector or with Bart. I've bought several items from Bart and always got great prices, great service and quick shipping. That's where I bought my Nox too.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used but don't own a 3030. I considered the 3030 as a multi-frequency compliment to my Deus. When the Equinox was announced, it seemed to have addressed some of the knocks against the 3030 (weight, complexity, mid-conductive target performance (Nox hits harder at depth on nickels and gold), and recovery speed). Price is also a consideration and ML has now set the bar to a level where I doubt we will see another $2000+ vlf detector hit the market. But make no mistake. The Equinox is not a 3030. There are definitely some high end features of the 3030 that make it superior to the Equinox including a sophisticated discrimination programming scheme and precise 2-D target ID. The 3030 is a deep silver slayer.

That being said, I think the biggest thing Equinox has going for it is it's versatility. The various Equinox search modes are truly different modes optimized for different target types and site conditions by providing different weighted multifrequency profiles and signal processing (Multi IQ) and not just different multi frequency channels and different default user adjustable discrimination and filter settings. Like the Deus, and unlike the 3030, recovery speed is adjustable enabling you to trade off depth vs. separation. Also, the battery does not have to be removed from the Equinox to be recharged which means you are not having to constantly manipulate the battery compartment seals like on the 3030 risking inadvertent damage and water intrusion. The Equinox has seen few water intrusion failures but these appear to be related to manufacturing defects vs. design defects and have all been fully covered by the generous 3 year warranty.

In conclusion, what I would really like to see from ML is a Multi IQ based version of the 3030. A faster, lighter, less expensive 3030 using the latest multifrequency tech but with the target ID and discrimination sophistication of the old 3030. ML has several detectors in development. 2 1/2 years after the Equinox launch, I think a Multi IQ based 3030 tech refresh is not too far away. The 3030 still gets it done in it's deep silver wheelhouse but it is starting to show it's age and reduced value as ML and Nokta have both released very capable detectors in the $300 - $500 range (including the Vanquish multi-frequency machine) that paying top dollar for the 3030 in 2020 does not seem to be such a great value proposition any longer. It's a great detector but I am not sure it is still worth the $2500 price tag at this point. Investment in a gently used 3030 might be the smart way to go at this point, if you don't find the Equinox compelling.

Excellent post overall, vferrari, and I second just about everything you've said there.

Your last paragraph, about a "multi-IQ CTX replacement" is exactly what I'm hoping for (and expecting) from Minelab in the next 1-2 years. Taking some of the best features of the EQX (wireless, etc.), and the best of the CTX (target trace, 2-D screen and FE/CO numbers, etc.), plus a few new and innovative "twists," and then incorporating them all into the Multi-IQ platform, and packaging it all in a lightweight, balanced, "higher-quality" package (beefed-up coil ears, better arm cuff, high-end shaft, etc.), at a price not more than the current E-Trac price ($1500-ish) would be my dream machine...

Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
You do understand the Pro 45 is a step down from the Equinox 800 and the CTX is old technology.
Doug

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vferrari, thank you for the EXCELLENT post!!!

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you will be disappointed with either the detector or with Bart. I've bought several items from Bart and always got great prices, great service and quick shipping. That's where I bought my Nox too.

I agree, bought the Excal from him in 2017

OP
OP
G. I. Digger

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First after reading vferrari's post I believe that he is correct regarding paying top dollar for older technology as the 3030 is approaching 10 years old. I may hold off on the 3030 for now and play the waiting game for a 3030 replacement. I am happy with my ATPRO but want to add another machine to the fleet. Whatever I purchase it will be through Bart as he is the very best!!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Etrac, 800 and a CTX. The CTX is by far the best for target ID. You can cherry pick so well with it. The 800 is a beep and dig machine. The target ID is so close you have to dig it all. IMHO the CTX is King. Most people cant afford a CTX that is why we see so many posts for the Nox.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Knox 500 is unbeatable for depth. It is by far the best detector I've owned. Will grab a deep coin signal and lock in on it. I dug a Canadian fishscale at 8". Lots of coins over 9 and 10"

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My nox 800 sniffed a 1946 wheat cent 9 inches down under a tree root yesterday

tigerglide

Jan 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my CTX and when I have time will use it over my 800 or V3i.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions