Fort Beggs Plainfield IL

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Is this property in Wheatland or Dupage twp?

OP
OP
Fryy

Fryy

Jun 4, 2008
Naperville, IL
Not sure, just know it's Will county. There is a Fort Beggs road so it must have been somewhere close maybe.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
The early fur traders setup the first log cabins in Dupage twp, along the river, where there was a large Pot tribe. Since the Pots were friendly, and Blackhawk would not have gone through their territory without getting wiped out, it might also have been the site of the fort.

The fort's history is only known as being, "NW of Joliet on the Dupage River." It's pretty sure it was in Will County and the most likely site is Dupage or Wheatland Twp. Either way, this is a great potential hunt site, those parts not under development or paved under already.

People like Major Anderson, who surrendered Fort Sumter was a young officer in Scotts ranks in pursuit of Blackhawk through these parts along with other notable militia people like Abe Lincoln. Any coin, button or buckle you find that way could have come from a real VIP of the past!

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
The marker is on Fort Beggs road in the town of Plainfield. Part of it would be under the new Plainfield High School. There is also a farm field across the street from the school. Makton, one of the guys in your club, Rob, has been hunting the site with his buddy. So far I don't think they have found anything or they are not telling if they did. He makes videos for U tube on his hunts. Rob

OP
OP
Fryy

Fryy

Jun 4, 2008
Naperville, IL
Re: Fort Beggs Plainfield IL (With Pics Now)

Here is 1938 and 2008. The building was torn down recently according to my friend. There was an archaeological dig there before the tear down. The company that owns the land also has 3 boxes of artifacts found at the site. My friend will be back Thru town next week and will get the boxes from his uncle who owns the co. and see if maybe a MDr was used. I will also be able to find out where for sure the land is.

Attachments

• beggs1.gif
    beggs1.gif
    272.6 KB · Views: 726
  • beggs2.gif
    beggs2.gif
    233.8 KB · Views: 1,047

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
The location of the Fort is marked with a monument where I have marked it. The school was built after the big 1990 Plainfield tornado. Rob

Attachments

• 4th.jpg
    4th.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 6,752

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
During the Black Hawk War of 1832, settlers gathered at the home of Reverend Stephen Beggs for protection. They tore down the barn and outbuildings to build a wall around the cabin, thus "Fort Beggs" was created.

Well Fryy,it could easily have been there in 1938, it would have been a 106 year old house, not a fort. What's the name of the company and where did you get the 1938 picture? There looks to be only 2 structures in the 1938 photo. One is south and across the street from the monument where there is still a present day farm house. The other is north and across the street from the monument where is is a company complex now.

As I said this guy I met who is a real estate agent in Plainfield said he got permission to hunt the site from the owner. He and his buddy detected there last year but hadn't found anything at the time. I live about 5 miles from there. An archaeological dig is pretty comprehensive and they would have dug deep. But if you find the location I would still like to hunt the site. You never know until you try.

Makton and I hunted the Electric Park site just down the road. It has all been redone and we came away with a big zero between us, not one good find. Good luck Rob

OP
OP
Fryy

Fryy

Jun 4, 2008
Naperville, IL
In 2001 I was a prepress tech for Scantech Color Systems in Champaign Illinois. We were asked to scan aerial photos which were taken as far back as 1937. When I left this position they were just finishing up Champaign County. Last month I was amazed to find they had scanned a good portion of Illinois. More amazed to find access to them on the web.

http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/nsdihome/webdocs/ilhap/county/

When it was torn down, he said it was a house with a wall around it. I will know more when my buddy comes back thru and we find where this land is.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
There were quite a few hastily erected forts in the northern half of Illinois during that period and before. They were typically the wooden pallisade type and the era they were constructed for/during passed fairly quickly, making them obsolete. Wouldn't expect much to be there to begin with, but there are many bivouac, river crossings and short-term encampments that were used by the army/militia at the time.

You can find two graves of unknown soldiers from the Blackhawk war in a FP between South Elgin and St. Charles at a river crossing. Can't detect there though, it's Kane County FP. Of course you can hunt the water there, have done so myself. I was not surprized to find nailed horse shoes and ox shoes in the rocks, along with old cookware remains and tools from what may have been failed or troubled crossings during high water.

Good luck on the search!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread