Fort Bellefontaine

cwlead

Mar 24, 2008
My friend son myself have found mini old military buttons a snuff box a silver bit from an old Spanish coin lead balls ect, We've had a lot of fun there cwlead

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
You won't be arrested if on park property, but you will be told to leave by the rangers. I have found hundreds of buttons up there, but believe me there is not much left that can be detected. Everything neat is below a detectable range now. The original location of the fort has been hunted to death, but I did find a button behind one of the old brick buildings a few years ago. I have hunted it so hard that the last few times I was there I found nothing, and I know where to hunt. The abandoned building is not from the original fort. It used to be called the powder magazine, but it is a building that was built by the farmers, and it is believed built from the old foundation stones of the fort; so although it looks really old, it only dates from the 1860's. Everything below the school is park property, everything surrounding the school is park property. As for the school. It is for bad kids. They are all young teenagers and they are locked in the buildings and attend school in the buildings. They leave the buildings to go to the cafeteria and eat, but are counted loudly when entering and leaving the buildings. The place is basically a reform school for troubled children and it is best to stay away from any of the buildings with cars parked around them.

Roy Volker who was a professional treasure hunter hunted the park a lot in the early seventies. Roy was a diver and dove in Florida for sunken treasure. He was a friend of Mel Fisher, but Mel struck it rich, Roy found a bit but not much. He once owned a treasure museum in Louisiana or Clarksville, Mo. Anyway, Roy hunted the park a lot in the seventies and it had been hunted continually since that period.

Another great area was at the end of Riverview where the new Conservation area building now sits. We found many buttons at that site, it was a small military encampment. But since the conservation department now owns the property they would not like it if you were to detect on that site. There used to be a town called Columbia located at that site. You can hunt, hike, fish, and do everything else, but break out a detector and they will soon find you. Anyway, the area where the buttons were located was right next to the curve in the road and is now under the new parking lot.

There is a place down near Highway 270 in Bellefontaine Neighbors where the owner was finding lots of buttons but I never did find out that exact location, and the owner has moved so my "in"" is now gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread