Fossil bone or tooth fragment or just a cool rock? Interesting shape, maybe worked?

TXChzHd

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been holding on to this and periodically looking at it for years, wondering what it is and whether it shows signs of being worked. I found it in a creek bed sand bar in southeast Texas. Any thoughts on whether it is a part of a fossilized bone? I normally pickup petrified wood but this is not like anything I have seen so far.

The top and the bottom (edges) are relatively flat and smooth. The dark and light sections and their layer thickness and location are intriguing. There seems to be a bit of a grrove in the trough of the "notched" end. I know the drill, it's prolly just another rock, lol! :hello2: Thanks in advance!

01a - IMG_1147.JPG 01b - IMG_1156.JPG 02a - IMG_1148.JPG 02b - IMG_1155.JPG 03 - IMG_1150.JPG 04 - IMG_1157.JPG 05 - IMG_1151.JPG 06 - IMG_1158.JPG 07 - IMG_1154.JPG

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What camera did u use? Great pics, have a mineralogist verify the piece for reassurance. Everything looks different in 2D, my first initial thought was wood, then chert. But, the split part has me thinking. Have you cut, washed, or altered this at all?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread