Fossils on beach in Florida

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com has some posts about finding fossils while detecting on the beach. It seems the fossils show up in shell piles over an area of at least some 60 miles in length. The blog also tells this morning of a recently found fossil bone with a picture of a mamoth carved on it, which has really excited the archaeological community.

Does anyone have tips on fossil hunting on the ocean beaches?

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Finding the fossils and other 'good' stuff in the shells is great fun....have yet to figure out the '''shell''' action and how some days there are tons then the next day there are none. If you go to the Sebastian Inlet museum there are wonderful examples of what to look for...I have found horse teeth(ancient) and bones and other goodies...still looking for an emerald....Between the inlet and Vero beach is a good place to start...If you wonder about what you have found,the guys/gals at the McCLarty museum are very eager to chat.....
Great find by Kennedy.....they need about 150K to fund an Arch dig...better detailed full story of this bone is in Vero Beach 32963 magazine...gives me goose bumps to consider 1000's of years...awsume. Good luck hunting.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
you can find everything on our beaches in Fl. I have a beach near me outside of Tampa I find arrowheads on. Thats because the county dredges or dredged the bay to build this beach and they got all the sand and clay from the bay. This was all dry land around 10,000 years ago. so when storms hit and heavy wave actions rolls in it uncovers more artifacts. Vero is good for Megs and fossils and in St.Pete we have a fossil park where some kids found a mammoth and other megafouna in a creekbed. There are beaches all up and down the west coast covered in shell middens/mounds that have goodies exposed after storms.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
IndianRiverSonrise said:
treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com has some posts about finding fossils while detecting on the beach. It seems the fossils show up in shell piles over an area of at least some 60 miles in length. The blog also tells this morning of a recently found fossil bone with a picture of a mamoth carved on it, which has really excited the archaeological community.

Does anyone have tips on fossil hunting on the ocean beaches?
you can look where they dug the channels for the ships lots of fossils in the dredge material

Thirstyturtle

Nov 20, 2004
Check out the St. Lucie County beaches. After the storms of 2004, a clay like material was brought in from an inland sand pit to rebuild the dunes (this stuff unfortunatly ruined the beaches for a while). While walking the beach, I started finding small bone fragments and teeth from the foot of the dunes to the waters edge. I then started going every weekend and found horse teeth, camel teeth, aligator teeth and scutes, parts of mammoth and mastadon teeth, turtle shell fragments, and many other bones. After it would rain these fossils were easily found. Colors range from Jet black to light Tan.

C

Cappy Z.

Thirstyturtle said:
Check out the St. Lucie County beaches. After the storms of 2004, a clay like material was brought in from an inland sand pit to rebuild the dunes (this stuff unfortunatly ruined the beaches for a while). While walking the beach, I started finding small bone fragments and teeth from the foot of the dunes to the waters edge. I then started going every weekend and found horse teeth, camel teeth, aligator teeth and scutes, parts of mammoth and mastadon teeth, turtle shell fragments, and many other bones. After it would rain these fossils were easily found. Colors range from Jet black to light Tan.

Wow. Not that money is everything..but fossils can get big bucks on ebay.

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
centfladigger said:
you can find everything on our beaches in Fl. I have a beach near me outside of Tampa I find arrowheads on. Thats because the county dredges or dredged the bay to build this beach and they got all the sand and clay from the bay. This was all dry land around 10,000 years ago. so when storms hit and heavy wave actions rolls in it uncovers more artifacts. Vero is good for Megs and fossils and in St.Pete we have a fossil park where some kids found a mammoth and other megafouna in a creekbed. There are beaches all up and down the west coast covered in shell middens/mounds that have goodies exposed after storms.

I've found that it isn't too hard to find fossils on the Treasure Coast beaches. And it seems there are quite a variety of good spots. I found one nice Great White tooth on the banks of the Indian River, but haven't been able to find any more over by the river.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread