Found 25 Coca Cola Bottles & 15 Misc Soda Brands

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found 25 Coca Cola Bottles & 15 Misc Soda Brands

Bob, it's the first photo of the first post on this thread. Scroll the photo over to the right side and look at the back row, second bottle from the right. I zoomed the pix and it doesn't seem to have threads for a screw-on cap, but it still seems to be molded in some kind of figure.

Use the left / right scroll bar at the bottom of the second photo.

Hey, it happens. I just posted this response BEFORE reading your second one about finding the scroll bar. No harm; no fowl. LOL

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Shortstack :

No harm done ... yet!

Actually, (and I knew this earlier, but because I stuck my foot in my mouth I was afraid to mention it) I'm 99.9 % positive the bottle you're referring to is an old milk bottle. It's fairly common, and the "upper chamber" was to trap the cream that seperated from the milk. So technically, I guess you could call it a combo Milk/Cream bottle.

Now I really do feel bad, but hope there is no harm done in return.

SODA "JERK" BOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Shortstack :

This may be the type of bottle you were thinking of. They came in a variety of shapes, and yes, they often had a slot in the cap to be used for a bank. The most popular shape was a robot like this one.

ROBOTBOB :tongue3:

Attachments

• Robot Bottle.jpg
    Robot Bottle.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,741

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bob,

When I was a kid in the '50s (that's 1950s ;D) The favorite shape was the Teddy Bear. I don't remember seeing any Robots. Those must have come out after I "grew up". :laughing7: My little sister and I had a bear a piece for our "piggy banks" , but I didn't use mine too long. I couldn't keep my pennies and nickels long enough to build up any "equity". :laughing9:

But your bottle is the same idea.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I'm glad to see we're on the same page again. And it may be interesting to note that I got into soda bottle collecting when I was a kid (Born 1952) and would sometimes find bottles that were so old the neighborhood grocer would not take them. I still have a couple of those bottles I found around 1965. A soda back then cost 13 cents, and the return deposit was 3 cents. Four+ empty bottles would get you a full one. Those were the days!

Here's a photo of one of those milk bottles I was talking about.

Thanks again, and take care ... and quit spending all your pennies in one place! LOL

Attachments

• Milk Bottle.jpg
    Milk Bottle.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,712

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sodabottlebob,
this is the bottle i was talking about.
It is a coca cola soda bottle
pat date nov 08 1923, 6 and a half ounce bottle
bottled in Carrolton, ky.
Is it worth $20?

Attachments

• allens coin shots 005.jpg
    allens coin shots 005.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,722
  • allens coin shots 004.jpg
    allens coin shots 004.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,727

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Allen -

Yes ... I'd pay $20.00 for it (but because I consider myself a "wheeler-dealer," I always offer less, say $10.00, and see what happens. Often they will settle for $15.00)

But ... and bare this in mind, although it is marked CC/Coca Cola, it never contained actual Coke. This is one of the generic bottles they made, and contained various fruit flavors like, Strawberry, Grape, Lemon ... etc. etc.

But still a very collectible soda bottle ... and it looks to be in great shape!

Thanks for sharing this with me, and good luck with your purchase!

Bob

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Allen -

Here's a green variation of a similar Coke bottle from the same era. There were literally dozens of variations like this, the most popular of which was probably the "Big Chief" varieties. (Also pictured here). But all contained fruit flavors, and not actual Coke. I hope this helps.

Bob

Attachments

• Big Chief.jpg
    Big Chief.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,650
  • Green Generic Coke Bottle.jpg
    Green Generic Coke Bottle.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,707

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Last but not least ... here's a sampling of the Big Chief's in my collection. Every one of them is by a Coca Cola bottler! Although I collect Coke, my main interest is with the various "painted label" types of various other bottler's. I especially like labels with cowboys and/or Indians on them.

Bob

Attachments

• New Big Chief Photo.gif
    New Big Chief Photo.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,577

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

Hey, Bob . . . I don't know much about sodas, and I see that you specialize in them. I think this pair might be called "deco sodas," but I'm not sure. Are they worth anything?

sodasdecogreenpair.jpg

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I'm not sure about the "French ?" one on the left ... but if the one on the right is an original "oldie" and not a reproduction, I'd jump on it like white on rice. (Providing the price is right!) If they're asking more than $20.00, I'd think about it! But if you like it, and it meets all the criteria ... by all means buy it! :hello2:

Good luck, and/or hit me back if necessary!

Bob

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I'm not sure about the "French ?" one on the left ... but if the one on the right is an original "oldie" and not a reproduction, I'd jump on it like white on rice. (Providing the price is right!) If they're asking more than $20.00, I'd think about it! But if you like it, and it meets all the criteria ... by all means buy it! :hello2:

Good luck, and/or hit me back if necessary!

Bob
That's great! Thanks, Bob!

I have no reason to believe that either bottle is a repro. (Is someone actually reproducing deco sodas?!) They are flea market pick-ups over the years . . . too nice to leave to the fleas, but I don't collect such bottles otherwise.

I had to search my atlas for Presque Isle. It's in the remote northeast of Maine, along the Canadian border, just south of Caribou. I thought that remote location might be of interest to some deco soda collector.

Neither soda has any case-wear, if memory serves. I should put them on eBay, I suppose.

Thanks again.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Harry -

I thought I'd post this link for you to see some examples of other so called "Deco" bottles. I say "so called" because it was a term that came later to describe a design as opossed to a specific brand. I guess at the time they figured the fancier the design, the more eye appeal it had, and thus more sales. If you decide to sell them on eBay, you shouldn't have a problem getting a good price for them! And in case you haven't had much eBay experience, be sure and cover yourself on shipping!

Good luck ... and thanks again.

http://chosi.org/bottles/deco/deco.htm

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Here's a photo of the all-time, ultimate "Deco" bottle!

It's the first "prototype" Coke hobbleskirt, or contour bottle that was produced.

Unlike the final hobbleskirt's we are familiar with today, this unusual 1915 design never went into full production because it was too difficult to handle in bottle handling machines of the time, plus it was top-heavy and easily fell over. Probably the only remaining examples of this particular bottle are in the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta, Georgia.

One of these puppy's is likely worth $5000.00 or more!

Attachments

• Hobbleskirt Coke Bottle.jpg
    Hobbleskirt Coke Bottle.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,628
  • Hobbleskirt Coke Bottle.jpg
    Hobbleskirt Coke Bottle.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,622

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Harry -

I thought I'd post this link for you to see some examples of other so called "Deco" bottles. I say "so called" because it was a term that came later to describe a design as opossed to a specific brand. I guess at the time they figured the fancier the design, the more eye appeal it had, and thus more sales. If you decide to sell them on eBay, you shouldn't have a problem getting a good price for them! And in case you haven't had much eBay experience, be sure and cover yourself on shipping!
The "deco" refers to the Art Deco Movement of the 1920s and 1930s which emphasized geometrical motifs. When they could blow fancy shapes in automatic bottle machines, bottle-makers did so. It's all about the marketing!

Thanks for the link, Bob; I hadn't seen that site. You may like this one even better:

[size=14pt]This one has many, many sodas extraordinarily well photographed. Take the tour via the slide show.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Harry -

Thanks ... I put it in my file. I'm posting the one I use most, as it covers every aspect of what I collect, which is primarily "painted" label or ACL's (Applied Color Labels).

But most of all, I prefer the book by Rick Sweeney that is constantly on my desk and is so thumb worn I had to buy a second copy. The title is "APPLIED COLOR LABEL SODA BOTTLES" and can be ordered through the Painted Soda Bottle Collectors Association. I would post their link, but there is a membership fee required to join.
In my opinion, it is the ultimate soda bottle book with hundreds of color photos, and a score of helpful information. However, it does not include "deco" bottles. Although the link below covers almost anything and everything you can imagine.

Just click on the "Soda and Beer Colloctor's Pad" and go from there.

Be sure and check out the For Sale section too ... totally awsome!

It's hard to imagine all the time and work involved in setting up this site, not to
mention the work involved with the museum itself. Mind Boggling!!!

Thanks again. http://www.gono.com/

Bob

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had thought the first bottling plant was in Chattanooga. I may be wrong :dontknow:
We found their dump in the river and dove for all cokes. Good thread and have enjoyed all the knowledge. I have a corner in the basement full of old soda bottles I need to go thru someday :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
YOU'RE CORRECT !!!

:notworthy:

The first Coca Cola bottling plant was in Chattanooga, Tennessee and opened in 1899.

Check out this link for details.

http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/ourcompany/historybottling.html

Yes they dumped all their rejects into the river. Not un common back then. The river is still loaded with the old cokes. People sold there shares of coke for penneys during the depression. Lots of coca-cola history in Chattanooga. Enjoyed your thread. Someday I am going to unbox all that river stuff might be something in there.

Respectfully,

SODABOB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions