Found 25 Coca Cola Bottles & 15 Misc Soda Brands

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Re: Found 25 Coca Cola Bottles & 15 Misc Soda Brands

I just thought I'd update this thread with the link below for those Coca Cola fans who are looking for a Christmas stocking stuffer. And if your list of recipients is complete, my address is ...
Well, you know where to find me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/AWESOME-PURPLE-...I%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI%2BDDSIC&otn=10&ps=63

Merry Christmas

"SODA"SANTA"BOB

Attachments

• anim_xmas_santa2.gif
    anim_xmas_santa2.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,522
  • anim_xmas_santa2.gif
    anim_xmas_santa2.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,519

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
In my last post I mentioned ordering a book from Bill Porter ("The guru of Coke bottles"). Well, it just arrived, and although I'm still sifting through it, it has all the information anyone might ever need on the bottling and rarity of the 6 ounce Hobble Skirts.

And to answer a question posted by "tesoro777gold," the rarity/value of your Santa Fe, NM bottle depends on a couple of factors. Of course, value depends not only on rarity, but condition as well.

To start with, there are five basic varieties of Hobble Skirts.
(Which are embossed on the bottles below the Coca Cola signature as follows.)

1. November 16, 1915 ... Issued 1917-1928
2. December 25, 1923 ... Issued 1928-1938
3. Pat. D 105529 ... Issued 1938-1951
4. 6 oz. U.S. Patient Office min contents 6 fl oz. ... Issued 1951-1958
5. 6 1/2 oz. U.S. Patient Office Contents 6 1/2 oz. ... Issued 1958-1965

Bottles after 1965 had painted lables.

So, regarding your Santa Fe bottle ... If it is bottle # (See below)

1. Rare
2. Scarce
3. Common (sort of) There are always exceptions
4. Common (sort of) " " "
5. No Known Example (If your's is this bottle ... it's one of a kind! (maybe)

Of course, if any of you wish to order your own copy of Bill's "Booklet" you certainly can do so. Or, if you wish, you can contact me and I will do what I can to help. I don't think Bill Porter would mind, he's still looking for missing towns in the over 1500 different Hobble Skirts to be found. He's been collecting them since the early 1970's, and that's just one reason he has my respect and appreciation for his valuable efforts.

Take Care.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Hey Sodabottlebob

Would mind taking a peak at your booklet for me. I found a 1915 bottle today with Gloucester, VA on the bottom. Any rarity to this one?

on a sad note, the top of the bottle has a good hunk taken out of the rim :'(

Thanks for your help

Bob

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

BobinSouthVa ~

Thank you for the inquiry. I'm happy to help.

Please bare in mind that when it comes to old bottles, or any other collectible for that matter, condition of the item plays a major role in determining it's true value. Unless it is extemely rare, a damaged bottle is significantly reduced in value.

In the Bill Porter book, "Coke Bottle Checklist," it indicates that a 1915 hobbleskirt from Gloucester, Va. as being "Scarce." Which means your bottle is not unheard of or rare, but would typically be hard to come by whether found buried or sitting on the shelf of an antique shop.

Were it in "mint" condition, I would place an estimated value on it of about $75.00 to $100.00+. However, you said there was a "chunk" missing from it. Which, I am sad to report, drops the value dramatically! Most serious bottle collectors shy away from damaged bottles. Unless, of course, it is a missing link in their collection and they just "Have To Have It!" Based on what I call the "HTHI" factor, I would place an estimated value on your damaged bottle of about $10.00 - $20.00 max! But in my opinion it is still a "keeper."

I hope this information helps, and that someday you find one in mint condition.

Best Regards,

Bob

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
BobinSouthVa ~

Thank you for the inquiry. I'm happy to help.

Please bare in mind that when it comes to old bottles, or any other collectible for that matter, condition of the item plays a major role in determining it's true value. Unless it is extemely rare, a damaged bottle is significantly reduced in value.

In the Bill Porter book, "Coke Bottle Checklist," it indicates that a 1915 hobbleskirt from Gloucester, Va. as being "Scarce." Which means your bottle is not unheard of or rare, but would typically be hard to come by whether found buried or sitting on the shelf of an antique shop.

Were it in "mint" condition, I would place an estimated value on it of about $75.00 to $100.00+. However, you said there was a "chunk" missing from it. Which, I am sad to report, drops the value dramatically! Most serious bottle collectors shy away from damaged bottles. Unless, of course, it is a missing link in their collection and they just "have to have it!" Based on what I call the "HTHI" factor, I would place an estimated value on your damaged bottle of about $10.00 - $20.00 max! But in my opinion it is still a "keeper."

I hope this information helps, and that someday you find one in mint condition.

Best Regards,

Bob

Thanks so much Bob.

yeah its sad it's damaged, but on the bright side, I just discovered this bottle dump this morning, so maybe that mint condition one is just waiting to be found.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread