Found a big deposit! Finally.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For several years I’ve prospected my area. I’ve hit nearly every creek and river in 30 miles. Mostly gravel bars as Ohio gold tends to be pretty small. I traveled up a little creek a bit further than I had in the past. Tested a gravel bar just around a sharp corner and BANG! 40-50 specks. Pan after pan it’s holding strong. The largest chunky black sand, garnets and mixed iron stone and verity’s mjnerals I’ve found to date.

After about 20 pans in and I’ve found this deposit is about 200’ long and as wide as 20’. The real kicker, there’s bedrock about 3-4’ below this bar, I can see it exposed on the fast side of the river.

Freaking tickled fellers!

I’ll try and post some decent pictures once I get to doing some real work.

Upvote 26
OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Ohio for almost 20 years & had no idea there was gold anywhere. I was a creek runner too. Always fishing and canoeing.

It’s not easy to find but it’s here. It’s basically all just flour, at least what I have found. I did meet another fella food actually found a few pickers. Maybe I’ll get lucky and stumble across some well working the spot.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For several years I’ve prospected my area. I’ve hit nearly every creek and river in 30 miles. Mostly gravel bars as Ohio gold tends to be pretty small. I traveled up a little creek a bit further than I had in the past. Tested a gravel bar just around a sharp corner and BANG! 40-50 specks. Pan after pan it’s holding strong. The largest chunky black sand, garnets and mixed iron stone and verity’s mjnerals I’ve found to date.

After about 20 pans in and I’ve found this deposit is about 200’ long and as wide as 20’. The real kicker, there’s bedrock about 3-4’ below this bar, I can see it exposed on the fast side of the river.

Have you looked at the larger rocks near by to see if you can spot some color in them?

The bedrock cracks could be interesting for you to work over.

Any rock attached to some of the colors?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just wondering if there is any old geysers near by show a thermal fluid core of some kind near by?

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if there is any old geysers near by show a thermal fluid core of some kind near by?

Ohio doesn’t have a volcanic history. The geology here is primary sedimentary. It was an ocean 400 million years ago.

The gold we have here was deposited by glaciers pushing it down from Canada during several glacial events. I’d suspect we have some platinum group metals as well, there is a platinum line about 12 hours north of us. I’m pretty pumped with this deposit as it’s got a ton of corse mineral in it. I’ve only scratched the surface. I’m interested to see what lays a few feet down once I get there.

I plan to go run some buckets through my small high banker some morning this week. I’ll post up what I find.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ohio doesn’t have a volcanic history. The geology here is primary sedimentary. It was an ocean 400 million years ago.

The gold we have here was deposited by glaciers pushing it down from Canada during several glacial events. I’d suspect we have some platinum group metals as well, there is a platinum line about 12 hours north of us. I’m pretty pumped with this deposit as it’s got a ton of corse mineral in it. I’ve only scratched the surface. I’m interested to see what lays a few feet down once I get there.

I plan to go run some buckets through my small high banker some morning this week. I’ll post up what I find.
That's what I'm thinking that there should be almost no volcanic history unless it was a long time back.

Well if almost all of the deposit is pushed down from Canada by glacial flows. Look for some colors in the larger rocks as this could be where it is coming from. There should be some down at the bedrock layer as well.

Look forward to seeing the photos. Thanks.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I'm thinking that there should be almost no volcanic history unless it was a long time back.

Well if almost all of the deposit is pushed down from Canada by glacial flows. Look for some colors in the larger rocks as this could be where it is coming from. There should be some down at the bedrock layer as well.

Look forward to seeing the photos. Thanks.

Yes sir. I have re-searched photographs of ore coming from the mines directly north of my location. I’ve had mixed results but have found some.

A couple of the currently mined deposits are gold in quarts stringers laid into dark gray fine grained metamorphics.

I always have my eyes peaked for anything interesting. I’m as much a rock hound as I am a gold junky so more than a few interesting stones find their way back to be tossed into our “dry” creek bed that creates a path four out sump pump outlet.

To the trained eye this creek bed looks like a pile of failed gold ores from all over the US. Lol.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes sir. I have re-searched photographs of ore coming from the mines directly north of my location. I’ve had mixed results but have found some.

A couple of the currently mined deposits are gold in quarts stringers laid into dark gray fine grained metamorphics.

I always have my eyes peaked for anything interesting. I’m as much a rock hound as I am a gold junky so more than a few interesting stones find their way back to be tossed into our “dry” creek bed that creates a path four out sump pump outlet.

To the trained eye this creek bed looks like a pile of failed gold ores from all over the US. Lol.
Great you should be able to spot at least a speck here and there in the fine grained metamorphics leading to the quarts stringers or maybe the contact zone between the two rock types.

ben ohio

Greenie
Oct 27, 2007

I have walked these creeks and small streams fishing for 65 years I have never looked for gold but I have talked with people who have and I have seen some of their gold it is out there good luck

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have walked these creeks and small streams fishing for 65 years I have never looked for gold but I have talked with people who have and I have seen some of their gold it is out there good luck
Just colors or better yet some pickers?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Well at least you have a reasonable deposit to work on for some time. Since you have to move some rocks by hand be on the lookout for which rocks have a few specks or more in them to perhaps work later.

Sounds like you have your season laid out with just the deposit you found. Nothing like that feeling and you will remember it for a long time. Congratulations.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the kind words fellas. I’ll try and keep this post updated as I find time to get out there and do some work.

I have only found small flakes myself but have spoken to a guy who’s found several grams in pickers not far from me so I know they are out there.

In Ohio given it’s all glacial deposits finding bedrock and paying gravel can be tricky given the gold was deposited here and not part of the natural geology. This spot having bedrock and decent gold has me pretty pumped. Hopefully she’ll pay out once I hit it.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the kind words fellas. I’ll try and keep this post updated as I find time to get out there and do some work.

I have only found small flakes myself but have spoken to a guy who’s found several grams in pickers not far from me so I know they are out there.

In Ohio given it’s all glacial deposits finding bedrock and paying gravel can be tricky given the gold was depositors here and not part of the natural geology. This spot having bedrock and decent gold has me pretty pumped. Hopefully she’ll pay out once I hit it.
When you get to bed rock and you think you have it cleaned it all out, it may not hurt to take a metal detector to look just a little deeper just in case nature has ground into the bedrock some of the values. Nature can fool the eye's when you think there can't be any values any deeper into the bedrock especially if that rock is soft.

PS: if nature has ground any values into the base / bedrock this could help offset all of your efforts and costs to get there. Wow thanks for sharing your venture.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get to bed rock and you think you have it cleaned it all out, it may not hurt to take a metal detector to look just a little deeper just in case nature has ground into the bedrock some of the values. Nature can fool the eye's when you think there can't be any values any deeper into the bedrock especially if that rock is soft.

PS: if nature has ground any values into the base / bedrock this could help offset all of your efforts and costs to get there. Wow thanks for sharing your venture.

I’ll certainly do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’ll certainly do that. Thanks for the suggestion.
You are welcome and thanks for sharing your venture after all that is what you are really going to remember and the hunt is why you are doing it.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had about an hour to steal away today. Speed panned down two buckets trying to reach bedrock. I only made it about about 24-30” down. Seems the speck count is keeping pretty consistent. As I mentioned earlier I suck up all the flakes as they appear in the back corners of my pan. It helps me move a bit faster not being worried about washing them out.

I need to do a streak test as I’m curious what the graphite gray/metallic blue mineral is? Very heavy.

Attachments

• 0BB47073-F507-45EE-BB38-69C851746DF9.jpeg
    0BB47073-F507-45EE-BB38-69C851746DF9.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread