Greenie
Apr 27, 2014
Southern Northumberland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Barska Elite Edition
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I was walking my metal detector tonight, I came across a button. The front of the button is flat (no design, just some small, faded round ridges that come out from the middle like rings on a tree). However, on the back, it says "Warranted" across the top, and "Rich Orange" across the bottom. I did a quick search for "Warranted Rich Orange" buttons, and I keep seeing posts, web sites, and other links refrencing this phrase to Confederate civil war buttons, or buttons from the era of 1820-1860. I live an hour North of Harrisburg, PA (outskirts of Klingerstown). Would anyone have any possible info??? Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really need to post pics and give exact dimensions to get better ID. Hope we get to see it. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

Clarky821

Greenie
Apr 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Barska Elite Edition
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some pics of the button. It measures about 11/16 of an inch (around 17-18 mm). DSCN0058.JPG DSCN0059.JPG

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button find!

OP
OP
C

Clarky821

Greenie
Apr 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Barska Elite Edition
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone!!!

Since I'm new to the site, I didn't look down enough in the Forums to see that there was a "What is it??" Forum. I posted the same info on there and got a reply from TheCannonballGuy (Educator). I figured I would pass this along to you just in case you come across a button with that phrase "Warranted Rich Orange" on it. HAPPY HUNTING!!!!!

From TheCannonballGuy: You found what button collectors call a brass 1-piece flatbutton, a type which was manufactured for civilian usage, not military. The great majority we find here in America date from the late-1700s to about 1840. Your button's backmark saying "Warranted Rich Orange" means it is British-made. "Warranted" is Brit-speak for guaranteed, and "Orange" refers to the color of the goldplating (gilt) which was applied to it. Brass 1-piece flatbuttons with a raised-lettering backmark date from about 1790 to 1840... and ones which have an indented-lettering backmark (like yours) began to show up a bit later, about 1810, and continued to be made into the 1840s. Brass 1-piece flatbuttons fell out of favor with the public by the end of the 1830s, due to the advent of machinery which could mass-produce inexpensive "ornate" (fancy-design) 2-piece brass buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread