Found a cival war era beer can with my X-Terra 305 Saturday first dig :-)

Bucketfreak317

Feb 3, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 Whites BH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
O.K. so much for humorous sarcasm and that is all there is to the title of the post yup my first dig was a beer can don't condemn me for that I was bored and the detector was right on the money with TID and tonal detection.
Saturday morning found me waiting out rain and hankering to do a preliminary test of how this detector was going to react to the soil conditions in my area,I know there's been plenty of post about this particular detector but I still hope this helps someone that is looking to get into the hobby and may be on a budget.
I went to a common area where I live that is not more than three blocks away,the biggest concern I had was with the iron content in the soil in my area and that was what I wanted to check into once I turned on the detector set the ground balance I was surprised at how quiet it was compared to the bounty hunter I had a couple years back I could not get the background chatter and false signals dialed out of that one and eventually sent it back I'm not dogging bounty hunter but the particular machine I had could not deal with the soil where I'm at.
I didn't take anything to dig with other than a knife as that was not my intent but when I hit my first signal my depth read out was shallow and I knew it was a bad target but I also wanted to see how accurate the depth read out was as of now I know its good at 2" and I hit targets at 4" to 6" those targets are likely clad as I know the area and what it has been used for the target size matches the TID is in the right range and so is the audio tone I'm waiting for my pinpointer as soon as it gets here I'll go back and dig those targets.
To sum up what I've experienced so far my concerns were dispelled the 305 is quiet as far as I know I'm not getting any false signals its telling me what it should so far,I've read that some people think the X-Terra's are unbalanced and I have to agree had minelab designed the the upper tube with a slight upwards bend where the cuff is this would likely rectify the problem that's my opinion and only complaint so far.
If you can operate a computer a smart phone or a tablet these machines should not be hard for you to understand I'm not the end all of end all's of metal detecting but my confidence was boosted even if it was by a beer can at least I know its doing what its suppose to,I'm using the standard coil 9" 7.5kHz .
Thanks for reading and sorry for such along winded post I hope it helps those considering this particular model.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Apr 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the post! I just got an X-TERRA 305 and I love it. I have found a gold ring, a few coins and other items. I have several machines but I wanted to try this one out. I love the 3 frequencies instead of 1 which Garretts had, (that was the selling point for me ) it allows me to change coils later for different purposes. For your first dig that is awesome! I wish we had more civil area items here in Nor-CAL. I might have to try it out, next time I am in DC or Virginia.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the 3 frequencies instead of 1 which Garretts had, (that was the selling point for me ) it allows me to change coils later for different purposes.
One problem with that. The 305 can only operate on two frequencies. You have a choice of either 7.5kHz (MF), or 18.75kHz (HF), but can not use 3kHz (LF) coils on a 305. You have to have a 505 or 705 to use all three.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread