Found a Civil War era shoe. Tips on preservation?

jasones

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2010
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I went out detecting today at an old homestead. I got a nice signal that happened to be a heel plate for a child's shoe. I've dug several heel plates in the past but this one still had the entire shoe attached. It's not in the best condition but I would like to prevent the leather from deteriorating further. Any recommendations on how to preserve it? Thanks. Sorry for the lousy cell phone pic.
. image.jpg

Upvote 7

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would post in the preservation forum as well.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a very special find - you definitely will want some expert advise on how to conserve/preserve this artifact - Great find !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neatsfoot oil maybe? I would post it in the preservation section. That is a delicate find with the tap still on.:thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is way cool! This whole time, I thought that the taps went on the toes of shoes, but it looks like that one is on the heel, right? GREAT find! Hope you can get some good advice. Certainly I'd think some sort of oil/conditioner would have to happen after carefully cleaning the leather. This is 100% conjecture, as I have never been lucky enough to find something leather and that age!

-Buck

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When Johnny comes marching home again hurrah !hurrah! Helluva find, I wonder who or what the last fellow was doing wearing these brogans,vanzutphen

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would contact Dale Knobloch at Preservation Solutions for advice:

[email protected]

Thanks for the info. I found these about 13 feet down in a 15 foot well that I dug in our yard about 3 years ago and have had 'em soaking in water ever since.

well14.JPG

Here's some of the other items that came out. I believe it was covered around 1862 after a smallpox epidemic wiped the town out.

well13.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Saddle soap is probably the best product you will find to clean, soften and preserve leather. However, since it is mainly a paste, I am unsure as to how you could apply it to the shoe without the shoe falling apart!(**) Maybe it could be brushed on gradually over a period of several days to a week using a small but soft paint brush. I think that light applications each time, might do the trick. This will allow the Saddle soap to slowly penetrate the leather while at the same time, the brush will remove some dirt and grime while still applying the Saddle soap.

(**)There are several makers of liquid Saddle soap that is used for cleaning and protecting leather upholstery in cars, trucks, boats, etc. but it contains Glycerine that may not be kind to shoe leather.

Frank

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a liquid that they use on leather seats for very old cars. It pours on and you work it in by hand. You will need to use a liquid verses a gel. I reconditioned a baseball glove that was outside for over 20 years using saddle soap and I was able to use it again, but it really didn't penetrate as well as a liquid would have.

OP
OP
J

jasones

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2010
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac

Buck you're still right as the tap went on the toe of the boot/shoe and the plate went on the heel.

[/QUOTE]

Ah you guys are correct. It's not attached. It fell off when I removed the shoe from the hole. I guess I placed it in the wrong spot for the photo. Thanks for the clarification.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way .. when it comes to restoring & preserving brogans, Dale Knobloch is the man! He will not steer you wrong and you won't be disappointed.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chip that's heck of a find in a well. Brogans looks nice watered down.I would say between Jason and yourself you got some neat finds and I would be proud to have something like the shoes.vanzutphen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread