Found a couple of war nickels

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to have a problem finding war nickels in good condition. I've found 3 this year and they are all in terrible condition. Here are two of them. The one on the left looks like someone treid to punch a hole in it and did not succeed. The one on the right looks like it got hit by a lawnmower. Maybe I'll find a nice one sometime that I can actually put in an album.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 431
Upvote 0

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
That one on the right has been shot. Kinda looks like it's been to war. Is a war nickel worth anything, forgive me but I'm kinda new to this stuff. Keep it up it's still more then I've found today.
Muleskinner

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
I'd put the one on the right into an album now, then if you do find a better one you can just switch it. Neat finds even tho a little shot up. :D

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
muleskinner said:
That one on the right has been shot. Kinda looks like it's been to war. Is a war nickel worth anything, forgive me but I'm kinda new to this stuff. Keep it up it's still more then I've found today.
Muleskinner
They're certainly not worth much in this condition muleskinner. A good one might fetch a little more than a regular nickel of the same age. War nickels are named as such because they were in use from 1942-1945 (WWII) and were made with 40%? silver.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
muleskinner said:
wasn't there a war penny that was valuable because of a low mintage of copper ones?
The war penny was made of steel. (1943 only) Not very valuable. However, I believe some were made of copper (very few). If you were to find a 1943 penny made of anything other than steel I believe you might have a valuable coin on your hands.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Stuff I found on the net...

During World War II, nickel alloys became in short supply. To help make up for the shortage, from 1942-45 our standard "Nickel" was struck in a 35% silver alloy! A total of 11 different "War Nickels" were issued. These coins also have the distinction of being the first to use the "P" (Philadelphia) mint mark. They were also the only Jefferson nickels to use a large mint mark above the dome on the reverse instead of the normal spot to the right of Monticello.

-----------------------------------------------

SPECIAL ISSUE during World War II (1942-1945) used a Silver Alloy because nickel was a critical war material. This nickel was commonly referred to as a "War Nickel" . War Nickels can be easily identified by the Large Letter "P" that appears above the Jefferson Memorial.

-----------------------------------------------

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still silver, and they are WAR nickels. LOL.

Dig -it Ken

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I have found a couple this year and they are both pretty beat up,but still in better condition than an old nickel nickel.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Nice finds no matter the shape. The one on the left looks to have been used for target practice with a BB gun. Way to go!

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the silver nickels !!!!!!! the nickels don't hold up in the soil like the 90% silver does but I still like finding them!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread