Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timbobwey said:
Well, I dont know a lot about how to tell if a gemstone is real, but this looks like a real diamond.
I too, found a stone on the carpet at work. It is just over 3/16" across and looks like a diamond. Lots of reflection. I looked at it under a strong magnifer and it looks perfect. So, from what I saw on PAWN STARS it is CZ. No diamond is flawless unless it is a mega-$$$ stone. But, CZ are perfect, no inclusions.

P.S. I put it in my desk drawer hoping to hear someone cry about losing a stone. 6 mo later and nothing

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take it to a jewelery store and have it tested, they will do it for free!!!! HH Chug

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timbobwey said:
Well, I don't know a lot about how to tell if a gemstone is real, but this looks like a real diamond. It's a princess cut stone. Does anyone know how to tell if a princess cut is a real diamond, or a CZ?? I've read by breathing on it if it fogs it's fake, but this one doesn't fog. I hope it's real, its pretty big.

Heading back to the car from metal detecting in a horse arena, on a hot day in July, I found a super bright stone all alone in a small pothole at the entry of the local rodeo grounds. I'd missed the pothole with my front wheels by 6" as I drove up and parked!! It was high noon and the thing just sparkled and with twinkles of rainbow flashes as I bent down to pick it up. My heart just jumped. I thought I was going to have get a set of jumper paddles to keep it going, the bare stone was so big.

I took it to a local jeweler and he taught me how to tell the difference from a real diamond and a CZ: Take the bare stone and turn it upside down on something that has words in fine print. He used the return address sticker of an envelope. Slowly move the stone over the print. If you can see the letters move through the stone, it's a CZ. If you can't see anything, it's a diamond.

Mine was a CZ... Still have it.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
billjustbill said:
I took it to a local jeweler and he taught me how to tell the difference from a real diamond and a CZ
I just tried your test. >:(

The truth can be bittersweet...but "Knowledge is Power".... At least you know what you have and if/when somebody else is trying to sell you a bare stone as if it was a real diamond....

Always enjoy what you share on the forum,

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions