found a great park! 11 Year Old Kid Beat Me To It!!!

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out for about 2 hours on sunday to a great park in the oldest section of a town nearby. I was just happily meandering along digging some stuff (junk) here and some stuff there. I'm neeling down digging and get slapped on my back (scared the crap out of me). I turned around and there is this kid just smiling at me. I figured he wanted to see what I was doing and I asked him if he wanted to know! He replied "Oh I know, I pulled 46 pre 1900 coins and about 150 1900 - 1964 (silver and wheat cents) and about 1000 other modern coins out of her last year, SO YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIND ANYTHING HEAR OTHER THAN NEW COINS!)

I have to say my spirits kind of hit the dumps then....but I calmly said congratulations but I think I will keep going. after all no place is ever completely hunted out right? Then the kid told me that he spent the full 3 months of his vacation digging up the park. He would bring out 4 wooden stakes and some string and string off a 20x20 area and spend all day repeatedly going over the same area. Then he made it worse and told me that the oldest one he found was a 1790 something (I heard 1790 and lost all train of thought). I WAS HAPPY FOR THE KID BUT MAN WAS I MAD!

The kid asked me if I wanted him to go get all the old coins he found. I declined (kicking myself now) and the kid said OK thats cool. He showed me the area that he found most of the old coins in and ran off to play with some other kids. Now this park is huge, probably 3 acres so I know he didn't get them all but all I found was 3 LOUSY DIMES IN THE SAME HOLE AND SOME POP TOPS AND PULL TABS in 2 hours.

I have to say though that I was impressed with the kids methodical hunting...shows a lot of promise and patience for an 11 year old. Even though the finds were not there for me it was an absolute gorgeous day and I did meet a few other treasure hunters and exchanged #'s with them, including the kid!

Upvote 0

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Great story, I wish I could have been that focused at 11, and 21, 32 and maybe some years during my 40s. Don't worry, I am focused now.
Mike

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
I wou;dn't be to disapointed, It's great that he is occupied with an interesting hobby instead of running the streets. But none the less I suppose I would be a bit less enthusiastic about hunting there after hearing his story, HH Art...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens to most of us only we never learn of it. They never get it all, but can really but a dent in the easy finds.

OP
OP
MAINE HILLS HUNTER

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlw67 said:
Heheheh cool story. Cocky kids crack me up. Sounds like he deserved to be cocky, though.

Yeah he deserves to be cocky. It made me mad at the time but I am laughing now.

icegator

Apr 22, 2006
Maurice Louisiana
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x
should have gotten him to show you the coins. well if you got his phone number maybe yall can get together and he can show you some places to dig coins. seems like he knows what he is doing lol!!

ice

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Im sorry people but I think I would have broke my machine over his head! lol Im just kidding.........I think. Sounds like you got some stiff competition there Iowa, I wonder what machine he used? Surely he missed something.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I was told the little park in our town has been hunted to death. When I don't have time to go very far I still go up there and hunt. This hunted out park has given me my first seated dime, a barber, 3 wheat's and an Indian. I swing slower than normal and dig almost every beep I get. Good luck.

OP
OP
MAINE HILLS HUNTER

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Mar 24, 2006
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
Im sorry people but I think I would have broke my machine over his head! lol Im just kidding.........I think. Sounds like you got some stiff competition there Iowa, I wonder what machine he used? Surely he missed something.

He said it was a minelab. I would think it would be impossible to NOT miss something but when you spend 6-10 hours a day detecting a 20x20 area I am willing to bet that he got the VERY vast majority. But like I said 3 acres...he had to have missed a hot spot!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that reminds me of the time when i was 10 or 11 and found an expensive watch....and the time is was 13 and found a coloinal coin....well at least you have the satisfaction of getting those 3 dimes before that other kid

HH
-GC

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice finds! But I have come to realize that those kids are really great at finding stuff. My daughters will walk behind me with their machine and find things I miss. Good to have back up!

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
How do you know he wasn't telling a big fat lie? Junior high kids are notorious liers. They love to get in trouble, and da dada dada.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm with u ap,i'd chase that kid down(after i take off the 4 inchers)

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive kid!!! I doubt he's lying if he knows the name "Minelab" since that's not exactly a common word :).

I'd like to say it sounds like a future TH'r, but it sounds like he's already a bit ahead of me - hehe.

Dang, what I wouldn't give to be that age again and have the whole summer off to metal detect all over!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I feel your pain. Now I have had old timers come up to me and tell me about how they detected the park I was in back in the 70's and what stuff they found. This is not so bad. But to have a little kid tell you the way he did would be tough. It can be a jungle out there - the competition is fierce.

Mirage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread