What's new

Found a hollow sounding half?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
Today I found a 1995 D half that seems light and sounds hollow. I through some halves into the dump pile and heard a weird sound. At first I thought maybe I missed a 40% or something. Then I found this coin. It is definitely not right. Anyone find anything like this before?

Jim
 
Upvote 0
Shake it in a GLASS jar until it separates. Could take up to a minute or two and you may have to shake it hard, but you will find a surprise inside.

Please post pics after you get it open.
 
I got it opened. It has a copper 1980 "20" something Mexican coin. I don't have a digital camera now so I can't put a picture up. Who makes these things?

Jim
 
Hope you used the jar to open it. Using a razor blade tends to ruin the trick coin.

Congrats on the find.
 
You must be psychic. I couldn't find a glass jar so I used a bit of "force" to open it. Is it made from a real coin or is it a fake? It looked real from the outside, but was light.

Jim
 
They machine out a real coin for the hollow half on a lathe. I saw it on TV. I'm not sure how they make the other half. I found jusat the hollow part the other day in a machine roll. I have about 5 of them.
 
I found two of them this week, the coin counter rejected them, I had the tellers open them up as it just needed a bit of prying with a knife,
They were impressed when I told them of the mexican design in side. They were like, How did you know?
I have 3 or 4 of them that I have found, sometimes I just find part of one.
two in a week is not too shabby.

its a neat magic trik, use it to amaze people with your special powers!
 
I found mine in a CWI roll. What is funny is some CRHer had marked the face of it. I think I ruined the magic trick factor due to the "force" I used to open it. It was the only thing I found in the whole box worth keeping though.

No more CWI boxes for me. They always suck around here. Not nearly as good as Brinks.

Jim
 
I have almost a full roll of them.
Some have mex. coins and some have brit. pennies in them and the best ones have a quarter which opens to reveal a dime.
If they are light or sound hollow - confirm a magic coin by flipping them over to see if the sides don't line up.
Sometimes you can see the hairline on the back side.
 
TXTim said:
I have almost a full roll of them.
Some have mex. coins and some have brit. pennies in them and the best ones have a quarter which opens to reveal a dime.
If they are light or sound hollow - confirm a magic coin by flipping them over to see if the sides don't line up.
Sometimes you can see the hairline on the back side.

I've got about thirty of them. There was a guy who used to post on here who is also a magician and wanted to swap some 90%ers or 40%ers for them. He seems to have "disappeared". 8)

If you're still around, PM me if you're still interested.
 
I have found many of these as well. I give most of them away and have only keep a handful. Some go to tellers who think they are so cool.....some to folks who haven't found any yet.....a couple to family members.

They are fun to find.....a novelty.
 
I just found another one of these. This time it is a 1998 D. I am going to find a way to open this one without destroying it like I did the last time. I can see the seam on the back side near the rim.

Jim
 
I got it opened and it has a mexican coin that says estados unidos mexicana on it. It does not have a number on it. I put it in a plastic kitchen drinking glass and shook it hard and it opened in a few seconds. Kind of neat. But probably not worth much.

Jim
 
I have searched a lot of halves and have not come acrosss one yet..........
 
Goes4ever said:
I have searched a lot of halves and have not come acrosss one yet..........


It depends on your technique for searching. If you just search rims and look at dates, you will miss these because they look like regular clad. I have altered my technique a bit in that I look at the rims first, search the ones that look like silver or proofs, then hold the stack in my hand a drop them one at a time (but quickly) into the other hand making a stack. If you do it this way you can hear the difference in sound between a clad and silver. The silver "cling" sound is different than the clad "cling" sound. I have found a 40% or two that I missed by checking the rims since using this technique. If you are not sure what they should sound like, test it yourself using a 40% and with a 90% and you will hear it. Both the 40 and 90 sound pretty much the same to me though, but much different than clad.

Anyway, while doing this if you get a hollow coin, it will sound different enough from a clad that you will think maybe it is a silver. The sound is different enough that you will check it out. The first hollow I found was by tossing the coin into a pile of halves a hearing the odd sound. Since using the above technique I was able to find a second one. I am sure I threw out a few from the beginning by just searching the rims and dates.

Jim
 
Goes4ever said:
I have searched a lot of halves and have not come acrosss one yet..........




I just found my first one last week a 2 tailed one ... they are kinda of neat looking , Ed
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom