Found a Map!

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Actually, I didnt just find it. I have had it a year or two since snagging it at a yard sale.
It is labeled on the front with a different community about 30 minutes drive away, but when I checked, it is actually the entire City/County area, including mine!
It is dated in Roman numerals, and I am not sure, but I believe is 1958, when I was just a baby.
It looks hand drawn, but it does not show I-95, although it shows the belway.
It does show lots of areas near me that used to be something else, including a very large school that is no longer there. There is a church (my church) on some of the land now, and much of it is open and probably untouched since those days.
There are other goodies too, and thats just my area. I could probably spend years finding places to hunt with it.
I have had moderate success with metal detecting over the years, especially when I put time into it. Found thousands of coins worth hundreds of dollars, plus a bit of silver and jewelry.
But I gotta tell you, I just love the idea of finding REAL coins! Franklins Indian heads, Buffalo nickels etc. Even wheats are an improvement over zinc pennies!
Looks like its going to be a good summer!
Hugger

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sound's pretty good hugger,wish you the best.Keep us posted on your find's in the future.HH

G

Goot

The old map sounds interesting. Is it to scale?

Goot

Ace 250

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Congrats, Littlehugger anything dated by 1958 and earlier indicates good dates of coin recovery & other memorbilia.
good luck,
HH
SS.

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Goot,
Yes, it is to scale.
Its a real map, published by a map company in New York.
Its magazine style, rather than folded accordion style.
The front has the area gridded in numbered squares, the number corresponding to the page that square is on.
It seems accurate, but just looks like it was hand drawn. Black and white, with the look of a drawing, not the extreme precision of maps today.
But, its very readable and ?useful.
Drawbacks are my 6 day, 60 hour work week and the winter weather. But winter is research time anyway.
Hugger

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your treasure map!! :o

Hope you find lots and lots of good stuff with it!!

;)

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the map. Sounds like a lot of good hunting possibilities are with it. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Huntin' 59er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread