New Years Day

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I went back to my parents house on New Years Day and hit the back yard again where the old tavern used to be. This was the best day I have had for coins. The first half hour that I was out there I dug an 1852 Large Cent...now the oldest that I have found to date. I also dug a 1935 Wheat Penny, 1974 Jefferson, 1919 Buffalo, 1901 V Nickle and an 1897 V Nickle, 3 small rings (no markings), cheap piece of jewelry and a 22 casing. The 1901 is in pretty bad shape but the 1897 looks pretty good. Its amazing that the finds are literally in my own back yard. I have hunted this site 3 times and the total is:

1852 Large cent
1 Indial Head
3 Wheats
3 V Nickles
1 Buffalo
Jefferson
(the dates range from 1852 to 1974)

I still think that there is a lot to be found. The property line goes back about 10 feet further than I have searched, so that will be my next target area. Then hopefully I can get permission from the adjoining property owners to hunt there too.

The large cent has a gold speck on the reverse directly below the "T" in CENT. Does anyone know if there was a purpose behind this. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Frt.all.finds.jpg
    Frt.all.finds.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Reverse all.JPG
    Reverse all.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 302
  • frt.lrg.cent.jpg
    frt.lrg.cent.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 291
  • Rev.lrg.cent.jpg
    Rev.lrg.cent.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~Happy New Year to you Daniel!~

What some awesome finds!!!!!

I bet you can hear that yard calling right now!

;)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds you got there. I bet there are more around. Clear out all the targets closer to the surface. Then go through it and dig all crackles. Dig the iron and garbage.

Good Luck

HH Jer

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a hot spot.

G

Goot

Great finds. I think I would move back home so I could hunt there every day...lol
Good job.

Goot

Ace 250

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where is this place at??? LOL Great digs!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got me about.........how many 1800's coins did you show,anyway,great find's.You've got to be pretty pumped about getting access to some of your neighbor's property.Good Luck and congrat's...HH

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Wow, those are some VERY nice finds. I was looking in a coin magazine,it's about six months old,but it looks like the large cent is worth about $25.00. Congratulations!!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Great finds. I wish my folks had a yard that produced like that. I'm still waiting to see how you do when you get back to the Moonshiner's Cache.
Spotz

OP
OP
D

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
randall61 said:
wow thats a honey hole ,id pitch a tent and not leave for a month lol congrats.....keep doggin

Its funny that you say that. I almost did pitch a tent...I stayed out there until about 9:30pm and had a buddy of mine hold a lantern while I dug...check out the pic.

Thanks for looking and for all the great comments.

-Daniel

Attachments

• NightHunting.jpg
    NightHunting.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 169
OP
OP
D

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
...also the fence that you see in the last pic is the side property line; the rear of the property is about 10 feet directly in front of where I am digging...so I think there is a lot more area that will give up some more finds.

I also forgot to mention that I found a silver pendant of Mary holding baby Jesus in the same area on christmas day. I posted it about a week and a half ago.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent!

Those nickels, particularly the Buffalo, look to be in exceptional quality for ground finds.

You can bet I'd be camping out on any site that produced a large cent! I've only found three in many years of hunting.

I have a suggestion re. night hunting, if you're gonna do more of it- get yourself a headlamp with an elastic headband- I have a very bright one with a focusable beam- my wife got it for me outta some camping supply catalog- REI, I think. It's indispensible for hands-free night hunting. I do more night hunting than day hunting, because of my schedule. (Also because summers here are too hot to hunt by day).

Another thing that makes night (or day!) hunting a lot easier is a handheld pinpointer probe- I use a Tinytec.

You're so lucky to have a little hotspot, there. I'm out of hotspots at the moment. Gotta find some more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread